[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MICHAEL LEDEEN TODAY ON NRO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vauxhall3000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: MICHAEL LEDEEN TODAY ON NRO Reply with quote

August 16, 2004, 8:34 a.m.
The Terror Masters Revisited
Let’s go to the videotape.

By Michael Ledeen

Saturday's Washington Post had an article that quotes the usual unnamed intelligence sources saying that they are surprised to discover that al Qaeda has "reconstitute[d]" itself. This surprise derives from, inter alia, the computer data found recently in Pakistan, intelligence sources (both ours and friends'), and simply looking at the range of activities in which the terrorists engage.

This surprise is, as usual, unsettling, since it has been quite clear for some time now that al Qaeda and the other major terrorist groups — Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, Hamas, Jamaa, etc. — are all working together, and have been ever since we went into Afghanistan. The cooperation increased in the run-up to Operation Iraqi Freedom, and was only possible because the regimes who gave the bulk of the operational support to the terrorists — Syria, Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia — worked closely to coordinate the anti-American jihad. That coordination has, for the most part, continued (note the visit of Bashar Assad to Tehran at the time of the turnover of "sovereignty" in Iraq. At those meetings, Syria and Iran agreed on a five-point plan to attack us in Iraq, Europe, and at home, and to do everything possible — including massive efforts to get the price of oil as high as they can — to defeat President Bush in November's elections).

This helps understand the coordination between, say, attacks by the forces of Moqtada al Sadr and Baathist "loyalists." The infrastructure was created before we ever arrived in Iraq.

I wrote about this phenomenon at the time, and it enabled me to accurately forecast what happened in Iraq: the active cooperation among terrorists of widely diverse ideological, religious, and national backgrounds and convictions, in a desperate effort to drive us out of Iraq.

The war in the Middle East — for it is a regional war, not merely a battle for Iraq — cannot be analyzed at the level of the individual terrorist groups, because the terrorists are part of a larger context. The organizing center is, as Spanish Magistrate Balthazar Garzon publicly put it, a "directorate" located in Iran, that works closely with Iranian intelligence organizations, including the Revolutinary Guards. Those organizations, in turn, work with their counterparts in other friendly countries.

BLIND ANALYSTS

In order to conceal their activities from us, the Iranians have deployed several deceptive myths. The two most effective are "al Qaeda" and "Zarqawi." I believe I was the first American writer to call attention to Zarqawi (long before he was named by secretary of State Colin Powell in his presentation to the U.N. Security Council). I was able to do that because I had read German and Italian court documents that proved Zarqawi, operating from Tehran, had organized a European terrorist network. I'm sure that fact was known to Garzon, as it was to the Italian military intelligence organization, SISMI, which came to similar conclusions (published a few months ago in the Corriere della Sera).

This was the period when, according to our intelligence analysts, Zarqawi became a major player in al Qaeda.

It follows that the Iranians were involved in the marriage between al Qaeda and Zarqawi. To believe otherwise, you'd have to believe that Zarqawi and top al Qaeda officials were operating freely and independently of the Iranian regime. I don't think any serious person would buy that one.

But the notion that radical Sunni terrorists like Zarqawi and bin Laden and Zawahiri were working hand in glove with the radical Shiite regime in Tehran was an impossible hypothesis for most of our analysts, who believed that strategic cooperation between Sunnis and Shiites was not possible (even though, for example, the Sunnis of Arafat's Fatah-trained Khomeni's Shiites — the embryonic Revolutionary Guards — in the Bekaa Valley as early as 1972. I have personally interviewed the person who organized that training program). Those analysts were working with false assumptions within the wrong context.

By now, an Iranian role is obvious, as is the Syrian component. More evidence pours in every hour. Just look at the best Iraqi bloggers, or, if that's too hard, just listen to the Iraqi defense minister or the Iraqi interior minister. But I don't think we have accepted the full context, and we won't get it right so long as we continue to obsess over al Qaeda and/or Zarqawi.

Zarqawi is an instrument of a far more powerful terrorist engine: the Iranian regime, allied with other terror masters. Zarqawi himself is only involved in a fraction of the actions for which he gets credit; the most important figure is actually our old enemy, Imad Mughniya, the operational commander of Hezbollah. And if you're in a betting mood, I'll give you even money that Hezbollah is the operational glue that binds together the various terrorist factions on the ground in Iraq.

TYRANNICAL TERROR TRIO

I think it's fair to say that my analysis has stood up pretty well, starting more than a year before Operation Iraqi Freedom. If I am right, then we cannot possibly "win" in Iraq, because Iraq is just one battlefield in a (at a mininum) regional war. The Iranians, Syrians, and (a significant group of) Saudis dare not acquiesce in the creation of a free and successful Iraq, because that would mortally threaten their own survival. The regimes in Tehran, Damascus, and Riyadh are extremely unpopular; their peoples are aching for the chance to remove the regimes and experiment with freedom. The regimes know that, and are ruthlessly oppressing their peoples.

Remember that Machiavelli said that tyranny is most unstable form of government. And precisely because the regimes are unstable, our most potent weapon against them is political, not military. I do not believe we can win the war by force of arms alone. It is certainly very important to defeat al Sadr in Najaf and Kut, and to liberate Fallujah, but even those victories will not suffice. Our regional enemies will find new instruments — indeed, I have no doubt they have them already in place. Victory, as the president has said, requires regime change and the spread of freedom. And this is not nearly so daunting as might appear.

We defeated the Soviet Empire at a time when only a small minority of the people was willing to fight for freedom. We overthrew Milosevic with a minority of the Yugoslavs. In Iran we have upwards of 70 percent of the people on our side. If we supported them, I think it quite likely that we could liberate Iran in a matter of a few months. And if Iran falls, Syria will most likely come right alongside.

If we do not quickly expose the vulnerability of mullahs and empower the Iranian people, I believe the next few months in Iraq will, if Tehran has its way, be bloodier than anything we have seen to date. Not to mention the planned attacks against us here at home.

Faster. Please?

— Michael Ledeen, an NRO contributing editor, is most recently the author of The War Against the Terror Masters. Ledeen is Resident Scholar in the Freedom Chair at the American Enterprise Institute.
Persian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: totally agree Reply with quote

Thanks Michael.

Regime is using the scare tactic to frighten people of any action.
The so called opposition groups inside Iran, who are screaming to the exile media of ARRESTS & TORTURES in regime's prisons,

ARE HELPING OUT WITH THIS SCARE TACTIC!

I have first hand info. from inside Iran, and the situation was never so ready for a popular uprising. The Army, and even Pasdaran will not attack. and regime is NOT capable of continuing torture and mass arrests any longer.

EMPOWER THE PEOPLE OF IRAN, AND LET'S KICK THE BRITISH MAFIA BOYS OUT FOR GOOD. Wink

DO NOT LISTEN TO OR AMPLIFY VOICES CRYING WOLF IN 'JEBHE DEMOCRATIC'. NONE OF THEM WERE TORTURED. IT'S JUST A SCARE TACTIC! BEWARE!
redemption

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world will soon see how strong the Iranian people are and how weak and hated the Islamic Regime of Khamenei and Rafsanjani really is. May the angels and fallen souls of PEACE and FREEDOM stand behind all humans and warriors who exist in this moment in this last major battle for freedom and liberty. With the power of the universe may the Islamic Republic of Iran be burned from the pages of history and sent to hell where it belongs!!
Persian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: amin Reply with quote

Amin!

just be careful not to burn my parents with them!

NO AIR STRIKE ON IRAN!

SUPPORT THE PEOPLE, CLOSE DOWN THEIR EMBASSIES AND BANK ACCOUNTS, AND THE PEOPLE WILL KICK THEIR BUTT IN A SECOND!

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SELLING WMD TO MULLAHS BY EU AND USA; ACCEPTING THEM AS A LEGITIMATE GOV. BY KEEPING THEIR EMBASSIES OPEN; GIVING THEM BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF DEALS AND EVEN LOANS ...

AND EXPECTING THE PEOPLE TO TAKE AIR STRIKES LIGHTLY?

IF WORLD IS SERIOUS ABOUT THE DANGER MULLAHS POSE TO HUMANITY, WE EXPECT ALL TO CLOSE DOWN THEIR EMBASSIES AND STOP ALL TRADES IMMIDIATELY!

AND SHOVE YOUR PROMISES UP JACK STRAW'S A$$ IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MEANS TO CLOSE DOWN SOME TERRORIST EMBASSIES.

DO NOT BULLSHIT ME WITH BIG TALKS!

BOTH BRITAIN AND USA HAVE SUPPORTED KHOMEINI INTO POWER, AND NEITHER ONE OF THEM SEEM WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO HELP PEOPLE GET RID OF THEM.

YOU WANT IRANIANS WEAK AND MISERABLE!

IF NOT PROVE IT: PROVE YOU'VE WITH THE PEOPLE, AND NOT WITH MULLAHS!

AIR STRIKES WONT GET RID OF YOUR PUPPET TERRORIST AYATOLLAHS!

YOU KNOW THAT, AND WE KNOW IT TOO.

STOP LYING IN MY FACE!

GET YOUR ACTS TOGETHER!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: