[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuban regime helping the Islamic Regime?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Islamic Regime Censorship[Discussion]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefania

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Cuban regime helping the Islamic Regime? Reply with quote

I heard that Castro communist regime has jammed the US-based iranian satellite broadcasts.
Can you tell me more about this?

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: This is what I've seen.. Reply with quote

So I've heard... This is what I've seen -
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/07/15/state2159EDT0174.DTL

A U.S. government agency on Tuesday echoed what Los Angeles-based satellite television station providers who transmit news to Iran have been saying for days: Cuba appears to be jamming their signals into Iran, where pro-democracy protests have been raging.

While Cuban authorities have long jammed U.S. government programming to their own country just off the coast of Florida, blocking transmissions to a third country in a distant hemisphere would be unprecedented, said Kenneth Tomlinson, who oversees the Voice of America as chairman of the Broadcasting Board of Governors.

"This has ominous implications for the future of international satellite broadcasting," Tomlinson said by telephone from Washington, D.C.

The Broadcasting Board of Governors issued a resolution Tuesday calling on the State Department and Federal Communications Commission to lodge a formal protest with the Cuban government for "this unwarranted and wrongful interference."

A Cuban government spokesman in Havana did not return a call for comment from The Associated Press.

Iran's Islamic government has accused U.S.-based satellite stations of stoking unrest by providing unfiltered information into a country that does not otherwise have a free press.

Iran itself can't block the programming because the signals must be jammed over the Atlantic Ocean, where the satellites are positioned.

U.S. officials believe Iran contracted with Cuba to do the job this month, on the eve of the four-year anniversary of large-scale student protests, "to block the flow of news in a period of time when they obviously thought they were going to lose control of their own people," Tomlinson said.

He said an interference signal jamming the satellites has been tracked to a facility near Havana -- a claim based on information provided by the satellite service providers.

"This putting together networks to block international communication is wrong and I think in the long run will mark these states as outlaw states," Tomlinson said.

Azadi Television is one of four Los Angeles-based satellite television stations whose broadcasts into Iran were reduced to black static for days from July 6-13. The jamming continues on an intermittent basis.

Kayvan Abbassi, whose family opened the station six months ago, said operators have tried several times to avoid the jamming by changing their signal, but to no avail.

"The first time it took them five hours to jam it," said Abbassi, whose station's name means "freedom" in Farsi. "Yesterday, it took them minutes."

Another station, Pars Television, transmits to Iran on the same satellite as Azadi, but on a different transponder. As a result, Iranian viewers can still see its programs in some cities -- or at least hear the audio portion, said Reza Ansari, the station's marketing manager.

As a show of solidarity, Pars recently allowed Azadi to beam some of its programming on Pars' signal. Ansari said both stations share the goal of opposing the Iranian government.

"They don't want our programs to be watched by the Iranian people," Ansari said. "Everything we say is against the Iranian government and that is not good for them."
Saman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well, you can't expect anything more from than that kind of country. Cuba and Iran are of the same nature.

As we hope for freedom in Iran, freedom in Cuba is also something I'm waiting for. The Cuban people deserve it as much as the Iranian people and the rest of the world does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: CNN Reply with quote

Saman wrote:
Well well, you can't expect anything more from than that kind of country. Cuba and Iran are of the same nature.

As we hope for freedom in Iran, freedom in Cuba is also something I'm waiting for. The Cuban people deserve it as much as the Iranian people and the rest of the world does.

Saman: - do you ever happen to glance at the Middle East news on CNN and look for the Iran stuff? My GOD - it's ridiculous - they run garbage stories - and for Ms. Kazemi - they print "She may have fallen and hit her head...."

what a world..
Saman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's hard to ever find anything truly critical about the regime. It's all about political correctness. And BBC is even worse. They've truly shown their true face, by justificating and supporting the regime.

The only news channel that really critisizes the regime is; FOX News Very Happy

Right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
stefania

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Fox News is the only one.
I watch it eevry day through my satellite.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Saman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Very Happy

I especially like The O'Reilly Factor. The only problem is that he rarely mentions Iran Confused
salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Oreily Reply with quote

Saman wrote:
Me too Very Happy

I especially like The O'Reilly Factor. The only problem is that he rarely mentions Iran Confused

I guess I could say that I don't necessarily have too many problems with Oreily except for the overarching problem that plagues not only him but most everyone which is the partisan hatred and encouraged conflict. How often do we see a commenator who speaks of UNITING the PEOPLE - or AGREEING ON issue.. no .. we don't see it.. It's you are wrong.. We're right that's that..

This is why I canot say that Ilike his program.. although I agree with the tough approach to fighting terrorism.

more talk later Wink

-- by the way.. Saman - did you read http://www.activistchat.com/articles/wearecoming.html ? if you like it feel free to pass it around!

Smile
Saman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I liked it kian. Nice work!

Very Happy
stefania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saman, what do you think about the National American Iranian Council in America?
Dont you think it is a pro-Khatami lobby who wants promote dialogue between the USA and the Islamic Regime?
Sorry, it is just a question..

Saman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to excuse your question stefania, I think its an excellent one Wink

I really do not know that much about them. The first time I visited their website I thought that it was a positive site. But I was sadly mistaken. I've read many articels by Iranian authors were they accuse the NAIC of being a tool of the regime's propaganda system, only disguised as a respectable orginization for Iranians in the US.

But then again, I don't have sufficient knowledge about this group to make up my mind Very Happy

But if they truly are a pro-Khatami group, then I despise them Twisted Evil
stefania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes dear, they are promoting Khatami govt.
I got this information through many sources.
Dont be deceived by them..
They try to convince the US policymakers to deal with the "Islamic emerging democracy led by the Khatami moderate govt"

They are a pro-Khatami lobby.

believe me, dear.

In fact, they are against a Referendum , against the Iranian student protests and against the Sen Sam Brownback which issued the "Iran Democracy Pact"

They think that this regime can be reformed by Khatami and for that it must be left to take its time to become a real democracy !

Pls dont be deceived by them!

They openly depend on the Iranian embassy officials at the United Nations.

You know, the great majority of the Iranian exiles in the US oppose them..

Both Monarchists and Repubblicans despise them..

They are unpopular.

When i saw your site it was so beautiful , but i asked myself why the site has the NIAC as a partner?
They do everything to keep Khatami into power , working against the iranian people..

dear , i dont wanna make you upset, but i wanna inform you so that you are not deceived by this lobby group..

Wink

Saman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand stefania what you mean stefania.

But the group "Persian Gulf Taskforce", is not designed to promote IRI, only to preserve the name Persian Gulf and our heritage. If the group somehow is affiliated with NIAC, then it is truly unfortunate.

But I thank you for making me aware of this fact Wink
Saman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also stefania, visit http://iranalliance.org/.

They also have an ad for NIAC on their site, but the site itself seems pro-democratic.

But please, tell me if you have any opinions Wink
stefania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes dear, i agree fully that the Gulf must be called with its real name "Persian Gulf " and not Arabic Gulf !!

This is what arabs added after they have changed the iranian flag ..

But i advise you not to trust the NIAC..

Trust those who really oppose ALL the regime, and concretely support the Iranian people.
By facts, not only words.

Dear this is an advise..
Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Islamic Regime Censorship[Discussion] All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: