[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dear Limey Assholes ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViaDrEtebar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Dear Limey Assholes ... Reply with quote

politics
Who's winning, who's losing, and why.

Source:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2109217/

"Dear Limey Assholes ..."

A crazy British plot to swing Ohio to Kerry—and how it backfired.
By Andy Bowers Updated Thursday, Nov. 4, 2004, at 5:04 PM PT

Imagine being an undecided voter in Clark County, Ohio, last month. You kind of think John Kerry has some good points about the war in Iraq and the economy, but you feel more comfortable with George Bush's faith and his resolve. One day, you open your mailbox to find a letter from someone in England you've never met. It starts like this:

Don't be so ashamed of your president: the majority of you didn't vote for him. If Bush is finally elected properly, that will be the time for Americans travelling abroad to simulate a Canadian accent. Please don't let it come to that. Vote against Bin Laden's dream candidate. Vote to send Bush packing.

It's signed Richard Dawkins, a professor of the public understanding of science at Oxford University. And you're thinking, ashamed of Bush? Canadian accent? Who is this pretentious Brit and why is he writing to me?

Of course this letter (as every Clark County resident undoubtedly knows) was part of one of the election's biggest backfires: the British Guardian's now-notorious "Operation Clark County." The idea was simple: Give U.K. readers frustrated with the Bush administration a way to help drive him from office. The left-wing newspaper targeted one swing county in one swing state and invited readers to send one-on-one letters to independent American voters.

The response was huge and immediate. More than 11,000 Guardian readers across Britain and, soon, around the world signed up for the project. Spy novelist John Le Carré, for example, drafted this beaut and mailed it to some unnamed Clark County resident:

Probably no American president in all history has been so universally hated abroad as George W Bush: for his bullying unilateralism, his dismissal of international treaties, his reckless indifference to the aspirations of other nations and cultures, his contempt for institutions of world government …

But almost as soon as Operation Clark County was announced, right-leaning media and bloggers counterattacked. They masqueraded as interested lefties and got the paper to hand over some of the voters' addresses (The Guardian was only giving out each address once, so as not to overwhelm the good citizens of Clark County). A hacker managed to shut down the paper's Internet sign-up page.

And even as the pro-Kerry notes were still being written, Americans who had heard about the project (most of them not from Clark County) fired letters back at the Guardian. A few were appreciative. Many more were vicious. The paper printed some of them under the headline "Dear Limey assholes":

Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two shits what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies. ... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. …

There were numerous variations on the bad-teeth theme. Other letters verged on the threatening:

Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals—Republican to a man—to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.

One said simply: "Please be advised that I have forwarded this to the CIA and FBI."

Even the director of Clark County's board of elections got into the debate. She was widely quoted as saying: "The American Revolution was fought for a reason."

The Guardian editor responsible for the project, Ian Katz, finally wrote a piece on Oct. 21 crying uncle. He noted, among other things, that the paper had decided not to send the winners of the letter-writing contest to Clark County during election week, because it "would be bound to prolong the media brouhaha." (The Guardian did not exactly endear itself to Americans after it canceled Operation Clark County, either. Click here for its other deft election stunt.

Katz also said he knew all along that the letter-writing project could backfire. So, did it? Almost certainly, yes. In 2000, Al Gore won Clark County by 324 votes. And since Ralph Nader received 1,347 votes, we can assume Gore's margin would have been larger without Nader on the ballot. On Tuesday George Bush won Clark County by 1,620 votes.

The most significant stat here is how Clark County compares to the other 15 Ohio counties won by Gore in 2000. Kerry won every Gore county in Ohio except Clark. He even increased Gore's winning margin in 12 of the 16. Nowhere among the Gore counties did more votes move from the blue to the red column than in Clark. The Guardian's Katz was quoted as saying it would be "self-aggrandizing" to claim Operation Clark County affected the election. Don't be so modest, Ian.

Andy Bowers is a Slate senior editor.
eski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...... like we're going to take advice from left-wing, euro-elites on how to run our country. They are loosing their own countries in the name of tollerance and liberalism as I write this and undermine their selves every day and they are going to presume to tell us who to vote for. These morons just don't get it and won't understand until it bites them in the ass. And then they'll become our "Best Friends" again. Especially France....I hope we let those bastards rot this time.
Persian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally British Meddling in other nations' affaris is backfiring!

It was so pathatic that even the British Spy of our site, Reza gholi, has not yet shown up to defend it and get his paycheck. Laughing

the guy's probably waxing Elizabeth's shoes, or washing the blood stains off the British flag. Twisted Evil
Scooter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eski wrote:
Yeah...... like we're going to take advice from left-wing, euro-elites on how to run our country. They are loosing their own countries in the name of tollerance and liberalism as I write this and undermine their selves every day and they are going to presume to tell us who to vote for. These morons just don't get it and won't understand until it bites them in the ass. And then they'll become our "Best Friends" again. Especially France....I hope we let those bastards rot this time.

Good call dude. Hey, I gotta question for ya(based on your sig), do you ever listen to the Savage nation?
reza

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Finally British Meddling in other nations' affaris is backfiring!

It was so pathatic that even the British Spy of our site, Reza gholi, has not yet shown up to defend it and get his paycheck.

the guy's probably waxing Elizabeth's shoes, or washing the blood stains off the British flag.

why should i defend it? only bored old men and women ould try to fill their time writing to the americans. Meddling was never going to do any good and i know the english should leave the americans to choose somebody with an even lower iq than the population to lead them. Bush probably doest even know where iran is...

And for godsake persian get a bloody life! the only pathetic one is you stirring up arguments like a little child! Jesus did you even go to a school? did you ever learn anything about dealing with confrontation?... idiots
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
American Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza said

Quote:
Meddling was never going to do any good and i know the english should leave the americans to choose somebody with an even lower iq than the population to lead them. Bush probably doest even know where iran is...

Now Reza you know I'm not going to let you get by with that kind of inflammatory rhetoric. The US and Britain have been allies for too long for that kind of irresponsible statement. Do you wish to back up your claims that Americans have low IQs?
reza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i was only messing friend, when i hear myself being insulted i get a bit carried away and my tongue slips irresponsible comebacks. I apologise as i know you are perhaps the most intelligent person on this site.
However the reason that slip came out was because every time i hear of some incredibly stupid act - the person was an american, the bible belt does america no good in showing them as intellectual as christian fundamentalism is just as laughable as any other. even americans i know paint a foolish picture of american soceity, southern hicks and programs like americas dumbest criminals are not the bright americans friend. and most of all the president really does not come off as a responsible world leader - it puzzles many how he was elected in the first place. But i did not mean to let this information get on top of me. My apologies
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
American Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza,

I wasn't really upset since I knew you had been provoked. Although the responses were harsh, I don't think those folks who wrote those letters back were angry against all British but just against those who were trying to mess with our elections.

Incidentally, I consider myself a conservative Christian, although not a fundamentalist, who loves Bible belt people. I think they have been misrepresented in the press, they are usually very decent people and often very smart. The reason Kerry lost was because he ran a poor campaign, all negative without a positive agenda.
reza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont doubt that the bible belt folk are nice people. But the fact that they teach against darwinism and pro creationism is a stumbling block towards a good reperesentation of their ways
American Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza said

Quote:
i dont doubt that the bible belt folk are nice people. But the fact that they teach against darwinism and pro creationism is a stumbling block towards a good reperesentation of their ways

I understand that is a touchy point with many people. When I was in college I was a biology major and spent much time studying that very issue. Evolution is the only naturalistic solution out there so it is used even though no one has any idea how life could have originated from natural processes. I finally decided I would just accept what was actually established in the field and in the geological column and let it go at that. To move beyond the data is just too difficult. At this point if someone asks me how life came to exist I just have to say, I can't explain it.

Just recently brain researchers have discovered that glial cells are more than support structures but actually function in cognative activity. Einstein's brain has a normal number of neurons but more glial cells in the associative areas of the brain. So we aren't even close to understanding how the brain works. If someone asks me how I know I exist, I just have to say, "I don't know. It is a mystery."
Persian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: way to go boy Reply with quote

[quote="reza"]
Quote:

only bored old men and women ould try to fill their time writing to the americans.

the english should leave the americans to choose somebody with an even lower iq than the population...

Bush probably doest even know where iran is...

...idiots
Question Question Exclamation

oh wow!

You made a total fool outta yourself this time, Reza Gholi Khan II

Not your fault, probably. Living with bunch of tight ass snobs proud of their criminal past does that to ya sometimes.

Tell me! when you get angery and "carried away", do you get this urge to throw things, kick and scream or blow up something? think we better report you now, before you harm yourself or others. YOU BETTER LEARN TO CONTROL YOUR ANTI_AMERICAN URGES, OR ELSE!

reza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just recently brain researchers have discovered that glial cells are more than support structures but actually function in cognative activity. Einstein's brain has a normal number of neurons but more glial cells in the associative areas of the brain. So we aren't even close to understanding how the brain works. If someone asks me how I know I exist, I just have to say, "I don't know. It is a mystery."

i agree completely, the wonders of life come exactly from its mysteries

Quote:
oh wow!

You made a total fool outta yourself this time, Reza Gholi Khan II

Not your fault, probably. Living with bunch of tight ass snobs proud of their criminal past does that to ya sometimes.

and exactly how am i a fool, because i made a passing remark about bush? or his people? oh thats ten million times worse than when you categorically condemn every english person alive as the incarnation of satan. You hypocritical moronic fool. Gain some perspective on your own actions and practice what you preach.

Quote:

i see i should learn from your great polite manners and respect Rolling Eyes .

Quote:
Tell me! when you get angery and "carried away", do you get this urge to throw things, kick and scream or blow up something? think we better report you now, before you harm yourself or others.

ok persian, i said nothing violent at all in my posts, i almost never incite violence except against the mullahs. But you! you are the single most bloodthirsty woman i have ever had the misfortune to communicate with! in every single one of your posts you proclaim your wishes to destroy something or other. and you accuse me of being out of control. i have never met a bigger hypocrite than you.

Quote:
YOU BETTER LEARN TO CONTROL YOUR ANTI_AMERICAN URGES, OR ELSE!

or what persian? exactly what are you going to do? you make me laugh, oh no the mean lady is gonna say bad things about me! i better go cry in a hole! Rolling Eyes get a life, the only american on the site has graciously forgiven my first and only outburst at the american people - learn some grace. i am condemned for a minor remark and you are given free reign to dennounce whoever you damn well please? thanks activistchat members for the equality you have created on this forum.

and jesus christ persian, everybody can see through your little quote manipulation, your even worse at it than the mullahs. Only fools and liars choose to ciorrupt information - which are you? and the same goes for your hypocracy, either you are too stupid to realise your idiotic behaviour or you think you are above the rules which everybody else abides by. which is it, arrogance? or idiocy?
American Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza,

I think we understand each other.

Although I'm sure it is unnecessary, let me just remind you that the English with their love of freedom also came from a Christian background. The only major religion practiced today which I'm convinced is completely incompatible with democracy and freedom is Islam.
reza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand my friend, christianity appears to be the only religion compatible with western democracy and i know too that england was once a country revolving around religion.
Clarkie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that many Britons, such as myself, are utterly disgusted with the Guardian. It has the lowest readership of any major newspaer, tabloid or boradsheet, for a reason. The people of Britain have not yet sold their souls to liberalism and not all agree with the Guardian. I even supported Bush to win the American election. Not all Britons seek to meddle abroad in order to promote their own twisted left wing creed. It is unfortunate that the Guardian gives this impression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: