[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Straight Persian sword!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> It's "Persian" Gulf Stupid! (NOT Arabian)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sourena

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. so i found some stuff on Iranian Swords. The rounded sword "Shamshir"that the lion holds is a purely iranian sword. It is not arab. The Shamshir was originally a persian sword, it spread into India and Turkey. The Talwar is the Indian version of it.

"The Persian Shamshir- A curved, thick-bladed, single-edged, one-handed saber with a distinctive curved-back hilt of Indo-European origin, originally from the Persian city of Shamshir, in what is currently Iran, with variations drifting east into India and west into Turkey. Shamshir, which means "curved like the tiger's nail", describes the deeply curved and continuously tapering parabolic saber blade. The shamshir has a radical curve of 15 to 30 degrees from tip to tip, a very small handguard, contains no pommel, is not quilloned, and features a slim curved blade that retains the same width until reaching the point at the tip. Instead of being worn upright, the shamshir is worn horizontally to diagonally on the wearer's left side, with the hilt and tip pointing up and the blade edge down. Used primarily for slashing afoot and mounted, it could also be thrust, although with its dramatically curved blade, not as accurately as a straight blade. Some versions of the shamshir had flamboyant blade styles similar to the flamberge. "

So there you go. Search "Shamshir" on the internet and you will see that it is of purely persian origin.
reza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sourena, thats quite interesting, i hav searched many times for a persian sword on the internet but to no avail. i think its main use would be for mounted use - like the japanese tai chi dramatically curved swords were easy to manouver on horseback and the curve decreases the shock of impact which comes with riding and striking. just my own theories on it...
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
reza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note that the prince of persia: warrior within now carries two ornate shamshirs
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
Sourena

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i had noted that, and i am quite excited about the game, despite the reviews it is getting. In the Sands of Time, if you look on the cover, there are engravings on his sword which say: "Seif Al Fars Al Ghavi". I know its arabic, but what can you expect? I was happy to see the engravings of Ahura Mazda, Anushiravan, and immortals on walls.
reza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes definitly, sos was a gret game and ive played the demo of warrior within, it is Badass! far more persian orientated with the inclusion of babylon
anusiya

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight sword (akinakes) wasn't Persian. It was scythian. Neither was the Kopis (Greek)

(akinakes)

(kopis)

Curved swords only really came about after the Mongol invasion - spread from China. Shamshir came from that influence, as well as Arab influence.

If you want a truly Persian weapon, spear or recurve bow tops my list.[/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> It's "Persian" Gulf Stupid! (NOT Arabian) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: