[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Risks of appeasing Iran's mullahs - Scottish MP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefania

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Risks of appeasing Iran's mullahs - Scottish MP Reply with quote

Risks of appeasing Iran's mullahs

January 05, 2005
The Washington Times
Struan Stevenson
http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20050104-085750-8520r.htm

Iran's increasing meddling in Iraq and its defiance in its nuclear weapons program pose the greatest challenge to peace and security in Iraq and the whole Middle East, as we enter 2005.

By sending thousands of Revolutionary Guards and intelligence agents into Iraq, as well as spending hundreds of millions of dollars to recruit mercenaries and enlist support among destitute and impoverished Iraqis, Tehran is hell-bent on steering the Jan. 30 elections in its favor.

Its proxies in that country, including the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI), have put forward a united slate, hoping to gain a majority in the newly elected parliament, whose primary task is to draft Iraq's future constitution. The Iranian clerics have never been so close to realizing their decades-old dream of erecting a sister Islamic Republic in Iraq.

On the nuclear issue, the recent agreement brokered by France, Germany and the United Kingdom on behalf of the European Union, has given Tehran all that it wanted and more. The Iranians have committed themselves to virtually nothing permanent. Reports this week indicate Tehran has prepared large quantities of uranium yellow cake for enrichment, which diplomats say breaks, if not the letter, the spirit of the Nov. 15 pact with the EU big three.

In return, Iran received a host of incentives, including a light-water reactor as well as the promise of European technological expertise to advance its "peaceful" nuclear program. More importantly, it demanded and received a commitment from its European interlocutors not only to keep Tehran's arch-nemesis, the Iranian People's Mujahedeen, on the EU terror list, but also to fight its activities.

The EU's lack of spine in dealing with Tehran has emboldened the mullahs to step up repression in Iran. A resolution just adopted by the U.N. General Assembly censured Tehran for "failure to comply fully with international standards in the administration of justice, the absence of due process of law, the refusal to provide fair and public hearings, and right to counsel, the continuing executions, in particular the execution of persons below 18 years of age, the arbitrary arrest and detention without charge or trial, the use of torture and other forms of cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment, in particular the practice of amputation and flogging as well as the systemic discrimination against women and girls."

The deterioration of human rights in Iran has revealed new depths of barbarity, where pregnant women and children are routinely executed and floggings and amputations are an almost daily public spectacle. The ban on the moderate Khatami faction from standing for election last February reduced the so-called democratic process to a sham. In place of those moderates, the Legislature now has 40 new deputies who were former Revolutionary Guards commanders and who have formed a hard, extremist right-wing majority to drive increasingly repressive judicial and executive measures.

These stark realities, however, have not deterred the ever-shrewd and business-minded Europeans. Claiming any attempt at firmness toward Tehran would be tantamount to starting an Iraqi-style war, the EU and its allies on the other side of the Atlantic argue conciliation is the best approach.

This deliberately obscures the fact that facing up to the Iranian challenge need not involve a choice between war and appeasement. As the exiled opposition leader Maryam Rajavi said during an address to the European Parliament on Dec. 15, "No concession is going to dissuade the mullahs from continuing their ominous objectives. ... The equation of 'either a military invasion or appeasement' is an exercise in political deception. A third option is within reach. The Iranian people and their organized resistance have the capacity and ability to bring about change."

As Iran inches closer to acquiring a nuclear bomb and developing, with North Korea's help, the missiles to deliver them, the civilized world can ill-afford to be at the mercy of these turbaned tyrants. The bitter, costly experience of Iran's people in the past quarter-century should serve as an example.

Appeasement is not the way to contain or change this evil regime. Nor is it the path to avoid another war. A nuclear-armed fundamentalist regime will not spare the EU, either. Iran's missiles already can reach southern Europe. The mullahs are now rushing to develop a third-generation missile system able to reach Paris, London and Brussels.

By putting the People's Mujahedeen in its terror list, however, the EU has handcuffed itself.

The EU should end the blacklisting of this antifundamentalist group, which provided some of the most critical information on Iran's nuclear weapons program and its intervention in Iraq.

For once, we should side with the millions in Iran whose cry is for freedom and regime change. A modern, secular and democratic Iran would not only be the key to regional peace and security, but also a long-term ally as we try to spread democracy across the Middle East and the world.

Struan Stevenson is a Scottish Conservative member of the European Parliament and co-chairman of the Friends of Free Iran Intergroup in the European Parliament.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Spenta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The deterioration of human rights in Iran has revealed new depths of barbarity, where pregnant women and children are routinely executed and floggings and amputations are an almost daily public spectacle.

Shame on the Filthy, Greedy, Immoral, Neo Colonilia$t EU for sponsoring the Mullah$ reign of terror and brutality in return for profit!
stefania

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a GREAT article, and shows that there's a bit of sanity left in Europe..

Yet, something must be said and I report here what Doctor Zin said :

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1314287/posts

The Washington Times writer provides a good analysis, but has made a huge mistake in supporting the MEK.

The MEK are a Marxist revolutionaries and nothing would please the Mullahs more than our support of the MEK.

The Mullahs of Iran understand the degree to which the Iranian people of Iran hate the MEK. US support of the MEK would destroy that trust.

Anyway, in general and compared to the average European politician, he seems realizing what's at stake

Afarin !

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
perzopolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorZIN is good to support the Iranian people - but in fact, I don't believe the article is supporting MEK. That being said. MEK has some issues about it that it should change, but they are more helpful than hurtful in the overall effort agains the Mullahs and DoctorZIN should take note of this.

If MEK is against the Mullahs - then this is good. All Anti-Mullah groups must unite.
perzopolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, in response to DoctorZIN's statement on his blog (regimechangeiran.com): "US support of the MEK would destroy that trust."

I cannot agree with his assessment, although one cannot blame because he's neither a Ledeen-type scholar nor an Iranian himself.

In my opinion, the crucial thing which will destroy trust of United States by Iranian people would be if the United States continues to look the other way while the EU and friends continue to bolster the Mullahs. The US must come up with a clear policy in support of the Iranian people/ and total regime change: this is the only way the Iranian people will trust the United States.

Spenta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not MEK, nor do I share many of their ideologies. However, I agree, when it comes to fighting the Mullah$, they are hardcore, and that is a good thing. Also, they have alot of info on the Mullah$, and the are very active especially with demosntrations in Europe and lobbying on behalf of the Iranian people. All of these things are very good.

When it comes to fighting the Mullah$ 2 groups have fought the hardest and paid the heftiest prices: Monarchists and the Mojaheds.

I don't support denouncing the MEK, its a waste of time! There is only one group to denounce: the Mullah$ and various so called opposition groups that act as fronts for the Mullah$, and the MEK is not one of them!
perzopolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - DoctorZIN seems to be a strong supporter from many of the things he has written, but he's hard core ultra conservative so he'll denounce MEK whenever he gets the chance. if he wants to really support the Iranian people - he should support all true groups who will fight for freedom. In the end - a secular democratic system will sort out the good from the bad.

The problem is US lack of support of the Iranian people. US lack of condemnation of the APPEASERS (EU and others)! The Worsening situation in Iraq, etc... etc.. etc..

The only way to solve the big issues are to have free, secular and democratic system in Iran. Such change would be the most positive throughout the region for decades to come. That's of course if the US gives a damn.
Spenta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US has Iraq, and the EU gets Iran.

If things are to change its up to the Iranian people. The west has already decided, and the EU is going by the China playbook which is disastrous for Iran and Iranains, becasue Iran under the Mullah$ ain't no China, and the EU is blinded by greed.
perzopolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile - Chinese economy gains and gains - US Government needs to do something for American business and citizens - and also for Iranians. If we are allied with SECULAR, FREE, DEMOCRATIC Iran - it will help US ECONOMY 1,000,000 FOLD - think of all the young smart Iranians who will help the US ECONOMY!!!!!
Spenta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US is great for Iran and Iran is great for the US. This is a relationship that will benfit both sides tremendously.

As for China, it is a dangerous ship. When Tiannemon Square happneed, it is my genuine belief that the west decided against supporting the collapse of the Chinese govt. The word was still unstable from the breakup of the USSR and its satellite states at the time, and civil war palgued central Asia and Eastern Europe, and the west decided that with China going too there would be way too much instability so they decided against the students, and chose rather to turn the Commies and their dysfucntional govt. into good Capitalists. This is what happened with Iran too, they decided the Middle East was too usntable, so they have not really been backing the opposition movement which was ready to wipe away the Mullah$ 2 years ago. As for the Faustian deal with China, one small problem, its an autcratic and corrupt govt. with no transparency, the regional governors are acting like warlords, and the whole thing could go bust with excessive crony Capitalism, ditto for the the Mullah$ Iran. Meanwhile we're giving China IBM and Intel, like kiss US technological supremacy goodbye. Thats the problem with these Faustian deals ... they never work out in the end.

As for Iran, it has a bright future, if the people are willing to take it, because the west ain't going to give it to them.
perzopolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very right spenta!
stefania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear, the MEK and the Mullahs have one thing in common : they don't believe in Democracy.

We must support all the opposition groups from the C Monarchists to the Marz-e-por-Gohar, etc.

But not the MEK.

This is my opinion

stefania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Zin is not a "hard-core" conservative , my dear!

He's ONE OF THE BEST FRIENDS OF THE IRANIAN PEOPLE AND THEIR STRUGGLE FOR REGIME CHANGE, AS IS MICHAEL LEDEEN !

stefania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Perzepolis,

also the non-Iranians can be entitled to support the Iranian cause-

I'm not Iranian, but I am supporting Regime Change in Iran !

Pls take a look at my blog, where I support Regime Change in Iran, Saudi Arabia,and elsewhere.

To me, there's no difference between right-wing dictatorship or a left-wing dictatorship-

perzopolis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I don't think MEK are talking about left wing dictatorship. They have some things to change, but they can be very helpful. The MEK is valuable Muscle against Mullahs. Listen Stefania - if you think United States gives a damn about regime change in Iran, you're wrong. They have not shown it. We patiently wait for United States to support we the Iranian and American people, but they have not yet.

IF UNITED STATES wanted to do something about Iran and remove the regime then they would've ALLIED WITH SADDAM who could have helped the US remove the Mullahs. BUt instead, US removed Saddam Hussein, the Mullahs biggest enemy. Does this make sense to you? Who is the hotbed of terror? Saudis... Syrians... Mullahs... etc.. etc.. Saddam was a locked up ***** who kept Iraq in total control - and was SECULAR. Saddam could've been used AGAINST THE ISLAMOFASCISTS!!!!

Free Iran is hte only way, but should not cancel out groups because they don't fit into your political ideology.

stefania wrote:
Dear, the MEK and the Mullahs have one thing in common : they don't believe in Democracy.

We must support all the opposition groups from the C Monarchists to the Marz-e-por-Gohar, etc.

But not the MEK.

This is my opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: