[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenn. School Allows Muslim Headscarves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefania

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Tenn. School Allows Muslim Headscarves Reply with quote

Very bad news.. Evil or Very Mad

Tenn. School Allows Muslim Headscarves

By BILL POOVEY, Associated Press Writer
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050114/ap_on_re_us/muslim_headscarf_school

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - A public high school changed its dress code to allow religious headscarves after a national civil rights group for Muslims complained to the principal on behalf of a student.

A spokeswoman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations said Emily Smith, 18, a senior at Chattanooga's East Ridge High School, wore her headscarf, or hijab, on campus for the first time Thursday.

Smith said that although friends and a few teachers offered congratulations, "I wanted to keep it as low-key as possible."

Khadija Athman, civil rights manager for the Washington, D.C.-based council, said the group sent the school principal a letter Jan. 6, three days after the student e-mailed the council asking about her rights.

The letter said that as a Muslim, the student is "required to cover her hair in public. Ms. Smith stated that despite numerous efforts to explain to you the importance of the headscarf in her faith, you always found an excuse to hinder her."

The letter said religious headscarves are protected by the Constitution and laws against discrimination in a public school.

Rick Smith, an assistant superintendent for Hamilton County schools, said the school had banned all head wear, but the principal agreed to allow Emily Smith's hijab after attorneys were consulted.

"This particular item was a little different because it is a religious garment," Rick Smith said.

Emily Smith said she first requested permission to wear the headscarf in August.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
stefania

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder where are the likes of ACLU and other so-called "civil rights" groups when it comes to Muslim women ABUSED and MISTREATED by their Male relatives for REFUSING to wear the veil ( That is Symbol of Oppression )

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
irani

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you care if she wants to wear the headscarf?
apparently she has done herself happy and you're against it.
stefania

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irani wrote:
Why do you care if she wants to wear the headscarf?
apparently she has done herself happy and you're against it.

We cannot be sure that she did because she wants to wear it..

We don't know if , within her family is someone forcing her to wear it and to speak in favor of it.

I am saying that a bit of attention is to be directed also to those poor girls who ask for help because of their families' oppression

Sourena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may surprise you to learn that many girls wear the veil because they WANT to. I went to school with a lot of Arab and Somalian girls that wore the veil by their own choice.

So how is this bad news? unless you are against freedom. If muslim girls want to wear the veil they should be free to.
stefania

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said before, they might be forced to say that in public.

You cannot know what is inside their hearts.

My morrocoan friend has told me this and said that it's common that many girls say that they want to wear, out of fear to be mistreated by their male relatives.

Sourena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they didn't want to wear it, they could just take it off in the school. Why would they wear it throughout the school day when they have no "male relatives" there to enforce it.....unless the male relative is the principle of the school Rolling Eyes
irani

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefania, How do you know that inside their harts they do not want to take it of?

Forcing women not to wear hejab is just as bad as forcing them to wear it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: