[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABOUT THE MOVIE "ALEXANDER" = ROXANA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reza

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but i think perhaps this is something you must resolve with blank yourself. Even if i do think his arguments compare to that of a six year old' Wink s.
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
9karevatan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good call reza
mikhanam
payande baadi IRANam!!!!!!!
reza

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
reza

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ,
your not so bad yourself! Wink
Hyrcanian Princess

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trainspotter9 wrote:
Hyrcanian,

Quote:
What happened to the "tall, blue-eyed, beautiful Persian women", whom the Greek Historian Xenephon smugly wrote about..?

Still today, famous directors believe that, even our ancestors, the mighty Indo-European-Persians, looked like Hispanics or light-skinned Arabs..... oH! Persians, 2500 years ago, were of a pure ancestry, qualified as "Caucasian" (since the oldest Iranian settlers were found in Caucasia...). Rosario Dawson rather looks like a north-African or Sri Lankan, but certainly not like our beloved and cherished “Roshanak”....

I have, many years, wondered and fantasized about Alexander and Roxanne (since my fiancé is Greek...Coincidence? history repeats itself...). So I really went to look for some infos about Greeks and their relations to Iranians.

You are so ill-informed and brainwashed by 'blond nordic' propaganda.

The ancient Persians weren't blond Germans. This myth is propogated by white supremacists who want to believe that the creators of civilization; Greeks, Mesopotomians and Persians, were blond blued eyed noble White invaders, who over generations of interbreeding with "lesser" natives, lost their genetic purity.

Read this critique of nordic-centric ideas of Greek origins:

http://www.geocities.com/dienekesp/hellenes.html

A certain measure of naivete can excuse claims of the alleged blondeness of the ancient Greeks. Sometimes, the common-sense explanation of literary descriptions is conveniently discounted, and a generalization from sporadic references to blondes in ancient literature is performed without much thought. In an oft-used example, Orestes' hair is described as fair, in Sophocles' Electra as a dramatic device aiding Electra's recognition of her brother from a lock of his hair on her father Agamemnon's tomb. Clearly, if Orestes was depicted as brunet, the common Greek color, it would be impossible for Electra to identify him. Similarly, Demeter, the goddess of the corn is described as light-haired (xanthe) and so is Apollo, the god of light and the sun. Poseidon, the sea god is dark-haired (kuanochaites), as is Hades, god of the underworld, while Eos, the Dawn goddess is rosy-fingered (rhododaktylos).

There are all but four mortals in the Iliad who are described as xanthoi. From this scanty evidence, the generalization "the Achaeans were blonde" is arrived by the Nordicists. Does the absence of descriptions of brunets signify that there were no brunets in the southernmost extremity of Europe in Mycenaean times? Clearly, such a thesis overlooks the common use of color terms as distinctive attributes of their possessors. It is more reasonable to think that Menelaos and Achilleus are described as xanthoi, while hundreds of other heroes are not as indicative that these two possessed a trait which was otherwise uncommon, i.e., light pigmentation of hair. The same can be said for light eyes as well, and e.g., Athena's light eyes caused the scorn of Hera and Aphrodite in a text by Hyginus who presumably did not have such eyes (Hyginus, Fabulae, Marsyas).

We must also dispel the notion that xanthos always refers to yellow hair, or that purros refers to purely red hair. For the former, we note that Aristophanes used xanthizein to describe roasting meat, which of course does not turn yellow. Additionally, Strabo uses xanthotrichein and leukotrichein (making hair xanthon and making hair "white") indicating that xanthon was a darker shade than extremely fair hair. George Cedrenus uses it to describe the eyes of the Virgin (xanthommaton); eyes are rarely yellow, unless jaundiced, which seems unlikely in this case. In modern Greek it may be used to describe any color short of black [22]. In ancient Greek, according to Barbara Fowler [28] was any color short of black or dark brown, while Wace [22] believes that it may have been at most auburn. Color terms are notoriously relative; xanthos may only be taken to mean the fair end of the Greek hair continuum, not blond. This impression is enhanced by the descriptions of northern European hair as polios (gray, usually of old people) or leukon (white) to be found in Greek literature (Diodorus Siculus, Adamantius Judaeus).

As for purros it is noteworthy that the common Greek words for fiery red eruthros is not employed for hair, while purros is given by Aelius Herodianus (Partitiones 115, 10) for the color of eyes. Human eyes are never red, or so-called strawberry blond, but they are often of a brown tint mixed with red. It is certain that at least in some cases, reddish brown is intended, while in others, as e.g., in describing German hair, reddish blond may be appropriate, given the known pigmentation of Germans. It must also be remembered that no ethnic taxon of man is recorded as being primarily red-headed. Therefore, purros means having a red tinge, it does not mean redhead.

It would be worthwhile to quote here in full, the opinion of British anthropologist John Beddoe [34]. Beddoe studied thousands of Britons and continental Europeans, and comparing his designations with that of other observers, came to realize the relativity of color terms:

Thus almost all French anthropologists say that the majority of persons in the north of France are blond; whereas almost all Englishmen would say they were dark, each set of observers setting up as a standard what they are accustomed to see around them when at home. What is darkish brown to most Englishmen would be chestnut in the nomenclature of most Parisians, and perhaps even blond in that of Auvergne or Provence; an ancient Roman might probably have called it sufflavus or even flavus.

Dear trainspotter,

I don't see how my announcement is of an "ill-informed" and "Nordic-brainwashed" nature (??).Do I need to remind (again...) that the topic was about Rosario Dawson's non-ressemblance to Persian women (and if you take a closer look of what I actually stated, I never said that Persians were blond + blue-eyed). Rosario Dawson is very beautiful indeed, but she doesn't look like present day Persians or Ancient Persians... Even to "ill-informed" and "brainwashed" silly me, it's clear that Persians were not all blonds. But Rosario Dawson's looks are a bit extreme.
Roxane was the daughter of Central Asia and Eurasia and not of North Africa or South America... This is why, in my point of view, Rosario Dawsons spicy and beautiful features are not Persian at all!
mary_c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: HOLLYWOOD IRANIAN Reply with quote

check this site out:
http://www.grecoreport.com/The_Alexander_Movie.htm

PS: the the choice of Rosario Dawson says it all: neither Oliver Stone, nor his historical advisers (the so called “professor” Fox) have any knowledge about Iranian culture and heritage. Almost all Iranians I know of are extremely offended, and have decided not to see the movie. Even most Greeks find the movie ridiculous and inaccurate (although Hollywood’s main purpose was to praise Greek /western culture… as usual). These facts are undeniable. Proof is, Alexander was voted the worst movie of the year in many countries.

In http://www.grecoreport.com/The_Alexander_Movie.htm, it's clearly explained what every cultivated Iranian or Greek have in mind about the movie. Hollywood has the brainless habit of portraying Iranians as Arabs. And I don’t see how some pro-Arabic mullahs in power can improve that pitiable image…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: