[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Regime's Total Incompetance with Bam Aid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spenta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: The Regime's Total Incompetance with Bam Aid Reply with quote

http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=fa&y=1382&m=10&d=08&a=1

Quick English Translation

Shargh Newspaper
Sahar Namazi Khah

You need only spend 5 hours in Tehran's Mehrabad ariport to see the regime's paralysis in sending medical volunteers to the eathquake site. You need only circle the cities' main squares for 2 hours to see all the people wondering around clutching armloads of supplies they want to donate in search of collection points and transfer sites they can't find. And you need only visit blood donation sites to see how donations are halted as a result of minor glitches such as a shortage of blood bags. This is when you realise the truth, that the people are ready and willing to help, but the officials have disappeared.

People who hear calls for help, supplies and blood on radio and TV all day, rush out in the cold and snow to donate what they can, only to be turned away to go back home unable to help. They send them away hurt and disappointed, and only comfort them with suggestions of prayers instead of an opportunity for participation and assistance. During natural disasters like earthquakes, floods and fires one of the most important tasks is the proper managment of the response, organisation of aid, volunteer groups and transfer of supplies and assistance to the afflicted areas. Sending medical and volunteer aid groups to a disaster area such as an earthauke site is as important as pulling out dead bodies.

A day after an earthquake, go to the biggest airport in Iran at Mehrabad to see all the doctors, emergency and medical teams stuck waiting for hours as a result of the total incompetance of response management while hundreds desperately need their help. Reporters were paralysed as a result of paper chases with the dreaded Herasat officials and the airport Revolutionary Guard squads wasting time that could be spent reporting the breaking story. Young rescuers without any proper clothing were being sent to a freezing cold destination. Because of the regime's incompetance groups of young doctors from the Tehran Medical School, Shahid Pezeshki University, the Halal Ahmal Helpers, journalists and reporters spent endless hours sitting around holding their plane tickets waiting to leave while hundreds were dying for lack of rescuers and medical aid.

Everyone could see the weakness and incompetance of the reigime in responding, organising and managing this crisis, a regime whose most minimal responsibility is to deliver aid in the case of emergencies and disasters, and a regime that was not able to to do so in any way shape or form.

--------------------------------------

I think the scene in the airport says it all, the regime can't even pull it together to organise aid, respond to or send the doctors, but its oppressive arms such as Herasat and the Revolutionary Guards are operating efficiently as usual while they harrass reporters with beurocratic paper chases. This regime has invested in nothing but the brutal oppression and control of its people, but it can't respond to or help them in any way and these incidents make it painfully clear to everyone. This regime has never invested in helping people or developed any means to do so, just to brutally oppress and control them!
Spenta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accroding to Baztab News in Iran the apathy of the regime is the cause of the deaths of thousands:

Story in Perisan:
http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=fa&y=1382&m=10&d=07&a=2

Highlights from the Baztab story in English:

According to the Baztab article, 12 hours passed before any help arrived! And many perished needlessly the first night in the -5 degree weather.

The regime's official news didn't report the severity of the situation 9 hours after the calamity and attempted to minimse the full extent of the tragedy!

The government's disaster management group didn't even meet till the end of the first day and didn't even manange to come up with a plan !

The weakness of the Islamic Republic in dealing with this catastrophe in comparison with other countires is unprecedanted. Not a single official on the level of a minister, or cabinet member has shown up at the site of the disaster yet, 2 days later!

The lack of organisation amongst the different groups is so severe that last night while a plane carrying critically injured in its aisles arrived at Mehr Abad airport, they kept the critically injured in the aiseles for a whole 30 minutes for the airport to clear !

An injured person told news reporters that the injured are all piled in Bam airport with no medical care or transport!
Spenta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran Press Lambasts Quake Efforts

December 28, 2003
BBC News
BBCi

Lack of preventive measures and the government's coordination of relief efforts following the Bam earthquake are receiving short shrift in the Iranian press.

One paper, however, hopes for a change of international attitude towards Iran as countries around the world, including the US and Israel, offer their assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the #### happened to crisis management, responsible governance, and all the talk about caring for those in most need?

Men, women and children dying in the thousands only because the state machinery was ill-prepared for natural disasters is mind-boggling, to say the least.

As for those who manage the affairs of 70m Iranians, they could do much better to be proactive than reactive.

Iran Daily (English-language web site)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone told you that the quake victims of the past 10 or 20 years were still living in tents, you might not believe it. We are very good at lamenting and crying, but when it comes to planning, preventing and fortifying... we more or less do nothing but wait for the disaster to happen and then see what we can do.

We know how to spend billions of dollars on bread and petrol subsidies so no-one raises their voice. But we are not prepared to spend the same amount on a national plan for making buildings quake-proof.

Khorasan (conservative)

Those organisations or individuals issuing permits for buildings, factories producing sub-standard building materials and people or companies in the construction industry - don't any of them think that, one day, a building might collapse on their heads and the heads of their own children? They only think about how to turn one dollar into two.

It seems our experiences are only useful to other countries - they are the ones who learn from our mistakes.

Sharq (reformist)

How many times have we reminded the ruling establishment that the first structures to fall during a major earthquake would be those dealing with emergency management and relief, such as hospitals, police and fire stations?

Hospitals and other centres designated for disaster relief were among the first to collapse in yesterday's (26 December) tragic quake. The officials in charge are either deaf or simply don't care.

Iran News (English-language web site)

When hospitals and relief centres in the city have also been destroyed and their staff are among those killed, who is left to rush to the assistance of the injured and those under the rubble?

There is a need for serious and principled planning, and for these plans to be implemented throughout the country.

Kayhan (hardline, pro-Khamene'i)

The lack of preparations to receive voluntary assistance - many volunteers couldn't give their blood, for example - is another regrettable scene in this incident.

And the very sad lack of coordination has inflicted much damage on the people. Don't people have the right to be extremely worried if experience has shown that there is such a lack of coordination?

Aftab-e Yazd (reformist)
TeachESL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Sent Report Reply with quote

I just sent this report out to a bunch of friends and some media outlets. Let's get this stuff out to the public. And, oh yes, I also sent it to Pres. Bush.
bendari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sent Report Reply with quote

TeachESL wrote:
I just sent this report out to a bunch of friends and some media outlets. Let's get this stuff out to the public. And, oh yes, I also sent it to Pres. Bush.

TeachESL - I like the enthusiasm.. I will do the same.. GOing to tell some friends to come here and join us.. be back later..
cyrus232

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Islamic Regime Responsible for 40,000 Death In Bam Reply with quote

Islamic Clerical Regime Responsible for 40,000 Death In Bam

October 17, 1989
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck the Bay Area
just before the third game of the World Series at Candlestick Park; the worst earthquake since 1906. The tremor collapsed a section of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Six of the deaths occurred when the exterior of a brick building collapsed at 6th and Bluxome streets in the South of Market District.
The quake killed 62 people throughout Central California, injured 3757.

Why:
Very simple because the Islamic Clerical Mafia Regime is not in charge in California to steel all the resources of the people and take it to another country, and buy the most expensive part of Vancover, Highway and buildings ....

In past 25 years the Islamic Clerical Mafia Regime has done nothing except steeling .... The Clerics are Viruses, the most useless , worst class of Iranian Society and they are directly Responsible for 40,000 Death In Bam, 1,000,000 Iraq / Iran war victims, 120,000 executions ....

Iranian Society does not see happiness unless the 70 million Iranian people rise up and come to the streets to pull all Islamic Clerics Viruses and their supporters from every rats hole in Iran and destroy them all, it can be done in 7 days, be prepared for the start date.
70 million Iranian People have no other choice except to rise up to finish the Job once for all and give them a lesson that it can not be forgotten.
DiamondBack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sent Report Reply with quote

TeachESL wrote:

Why the sarcasm? And the world does know about the horrible things that go on inside of Iran. It is up to the ones who live within the country's borders to decide what fate the government should endure.
TeachESL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Sarcasm? Reply with quote

I don't know how you could have read sarcasm in my posting. Some of these articles are not available in the general media. I just want to do my best to see that they get the full story.

And speaking of the anger that has been directed at the government, on TV today (I believe it was CNN), it was stated that the anger has subsided. I'd like to know if this is true. What is happening in the streets? I understand that many of the search and rescue teams are being asked to go home. And how is distribution of aid being handled? What is being done to stop the looting?
dfdfd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sarcasm? Reply with quote

TeachESL wrote:
I don't know how you could have read sarcasm in my posting. Some of these articles are not available in the general media. I just want to do my best to see that they get the full story.

And speaking of the anger that has been directed at the government, on TV today (I believe it was CNN), it was stated that the anger has subsided. I'd like to know if this is true. What is happening in the streets? I understand that many of the search and rescue teams are being asked to go home. And how is distribution of aid being handled? What is being done to stop the looting?

the sarcasm was, "Oh yea, and I sent it to Pres Bush."
XphilosopherX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sarcasm? Reply with quote

dfdfd wrote:
TeachESL wrote:

the sarcasm was, "Oh yea, and I sent it to Pres Bush."

Maybe I'm brain dead - but I didn't pick up on any sarcasm.. Anyhow -- I hate how the Bush admin is so quiet.. I know you must keep things on the downlow, especially in today's world, but I'm dieing to see some major progress in regards to the Middle East and world as a whole - not just Iraq.
Spenta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign Aid Workers Want to Leave Bam In Disgust Over Islamic Regime's Abuses!

From RadioFarda story in Persian (Real Audio):

http://www.radiofarda.com/realaudio/today/20031230_1330_0949_1314.ram

12/30/03
Italian Press criticise the regime harshly for its handling of the Bam disaster relief. Italian rescue workers and aid workers from 17 other countries tell the Italian Press that they have not been allowed to help or rescue anyone in Bam because of the chaos and mismanagement caused by the regime. The Aid workers say they are useless and they want to leave and they are disgusted by what the Islamic regime is doing in Bam.

They say that since they have arrived they have not been allowed to help anyone, and the regime has taken up all of their time by having them pose for pictures and do interviews to show that foreignors are helping and they support the regime one aid worker says, "all they care about is propoganda for the regime instead of helping the victims." Aid workers are disgusted by how the regime is just using them for propoganda instead of letting them help.

One Italian rescue worker who is a veteran of helping in dozens of countries says he has never seen so much mismanagement, chaos and apathy on the part of any government in a disaster like this. Other aid workers complain that the government can't organise anything! Many just want to leave Bam at this point disgusted, because they believe their presence is useless and they will not be able to help anyone and they don't wish to be used as pawns by the government !

----------------------------------------------------------

Note: The IRI uses 'foreign support' propoganda as a way of inflicting psychological and moral blows to the internal opposition, by showing that the world supports the Islamic regime and considers it as legitimate, therefore any internal opposition is doomed and hopeless.

-----------------------------------------------------------
stefania

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Spenta ( I mean, great that they realized who the regime really is )

What is bad is that i did not hear this on the news..

as i said, i am not watching the news anymore... only i watch them when i have my lunch or dinner..

most of the times that i watch TV i watch shows or Fox News Channel..

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
grs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: IRAN'S POLITICAL QUAKE Reply with quote

From the 12/30/03 NY POST:

IRAN'S POLITICAL QUAKE
By AMIR TAHERI

Quote:
The ancient city of Bam, the epicenter of the quake, has a long history of destruction. It was first destroyed in an earthquake almost 1,900 years ago. But such is the unexplainable magnetism of Bam that, almost eight centuries later, it had become an important trading center with a cosmopolitan population of Muslims, Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians.

The city was again almost totally razed by an earthquake in 1911. But by the 1930s it had reemerged as a trading center and a producer of dates and pistachios. Then came other earthquakes in 1950 and 1966.

By the early 1970s, the government had decided not to allow people to build new houses in Bam itself. The city's ancient monuments were declared part of the heritage of mankind under UNESCO and no new buildings permits were issued for almost six years.

The revolutionary turmoil of 1978-79 provided racketeers with an opportunity to seize large chunks of land in Bam and use it for poorly designed and badly constructed houses and shops. The racket was backed by a group of powerful mullahs who, in exchange for a cut in the proceeds, issued fatwas (religious opinions) that canceled government orders that banned house-building in the city.

The mullahs claimed that the shah had wished to keep Bam empty because of a secret plan under which the city would be turned into a Zoroastrian center. They also dismissed warnings from the National Seismological Center in Tehran that opposed the repopulation of Bam. The mullahs claimed that the Hidden Imam would protect the new inhabitants of the city against all disasters.

Thus, more than half of those who died in the earthquake could be regarded as victims of a racket ran by mullahs and their associates with the help of religious prejudice and superstition.

Code:
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/14726.htm
CryFreedomDMB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Emphasis.. Reply with quote

This quake has most definitely opened up the hand of the regime... What is Colin Powell talking about????

No dialogue -- JUST SUPPORT of the PEOPLE!!!!

Btw, thanks for the great Ledeen interview..

Bless,
That this crowd will not subside
Let this flag burn to dust
And a new a fair design be raised
redemption

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: NPR Reply with quote

Just finished listening to a bit of NPR - the line that they are pushing is that the death toll is so HIGH because of mud buildings and no enforcement of building codes.. .OKay yeah, that's half the fucking battle, now you have to point to who the responsibility lies with.. The Clerics, no??? jesus --- lets put two and two together please... Americans are starting to get incredibly active with this issue.. would be wise for BUsh to harness this support..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: