[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A day without a mullah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmirN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: A day without a mullah Reply with quote

A day without a mullah.

What do I mean by that? That I wish for a day when there are no more mullahs in this world, especially Iran? Well, I do wish that, but that’s not what I’m referring to here.

By that I mean a time in the future when one day out of the year is designated “mullah free.” A day of remembrance, or national memorial day. To remember what? The dark chapter in our history, and the calamity which mullahs brought upon Iran and Iranians. We must remember, lest future generations forget.

Am I thinking too far ahead? We all know the hen must lay the eggs before she clucks. Perhaps, but there is nothing wrong with dreaming a little, and thinking too far ahead. Obviously, the first goal is the ousting of this regime. But it can also be healthy to consider the future of Iran after regime change.

A designated day, deemed “mullah free.” A day when we remember what happened under the mullahs’ rule. A day that out of shame, all mullahs keep indoors and out of the public eye. One day out of the year, when they acknowledge what they did. I am not condoning any violence or persecution against any mullah or anyone else. I am not suggesting that mullahs should be placed under house arrest forcefully, or intimidated in any way. This hypothetical day I propose would be purely symbolic; a day of remebrance for the victims of the mullahs' tyranny.

Do you find this suggestion unrealistic and ridiculous? Laugh if you want, but the idea is not mine. Nor is it based solely on fantasy, but rather history. So who was the first in history to allegedly create such a decree? Dariush the Great.

Dariush’ rise to power is intertwined with the political turmoil which ensued around the time of Cambyses’ death. Cambyses was the son of Kourosh the Great. When Cambyses was subduing Egypt, his brother Smerdis revolted and rose to power. On his way back to confront Smerdis, Cambyses died. But according to Dariush on the Behistun inscription, this Smerdis was not the real Smerdis, but an impostor named Gaumata. Gaumata was a Magi (a Magi was a member of the ancient religious order of Iran), who had slain the real Smerdis and assumed his identity and the throne. Upon discovering this, Dariush sought out the impostor Gaumata and slew him, with the aid of six other Persian noblemen on September 29, 522 BC. There is a picture of Dariush standing over the slain Gaumata, carved on the Behistun inscription, as seen at http://www.livius.org/a/1/iran/behistun_gaumata.jpg

According to Herodotus,

"The anniversary of this day has become a red-letter day in the Persian calendar, marked by an important festival known as the Magophonia, or Killing of the Magian, during which no Magian is allowed to show himself. Every member of the caste stays indoor till the day is over."

[Herodotus, Histories 3.79]

So, according to Herodotus, there was a day (September 29) in ancient Persia whereby all magians kept out of the public eye, to mark the anniversary of the shame and dishonor that a certain Magi named Gaumata brought upon Iran as well as his own religious sect. Keep in mind, though, that other than this one day, the Magi were actually still kept in high regard and continued to play an important role in the empire.

Now, I know that we can’t take everything that Herodotus said as absolute, and he manipulated and distorted the truth on many occasions. But although he was not the most reliable historian, I see no motivation for him to lie regarding this matter. And I have found no historical evidence that either confirms or refutes what he says regarding this topic. Some have said that perhaps he misunderstood Magophonia from another Persian term, and got this all wrong. Perhaps…and perhaps not.

But whether this “day without a magi” really happened or was just Herodotus’ misunderstanding, the concept can definitely be applicable to the future of Iran.

And so, I hope for “a day without a mullah.” But considering how much more malignant and protracted the rule of modern mullahs has been compared to that of Gaumata and the sect of the magi, perhaps I am not hoping for enough. Perhaps a more reasonable request might be “a week, or even a month without a mullah.”

Of course, I realize that such a day interpreted literally is unrealistic, and intolerance is undesirable. This day I suggest is only symbolic, and not directed at any particular person or mullah.

And there is a definite parallel between Iran’s ancient history and modern history. A member of the religious order by the name of Gaumata usurped the throne of Iran from its rightful ruler. The powerful and proud empire was thrown into instability and chaos. It took a courageous and talented leader to slay the usurper, and restore the empire to its rightful glory.

I long for our own modern day Dariush. But perhaps, “our Dariush” will not appear as a single person, but as a collective of many Iranians.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: