[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At Least 345 People Die in Hajj Stampede

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: At Least 345 People Die in Hajj Stampede Reply with quote

At Least 345 People Die in Hajj Stampede

By SALAH NASRAWI, Associated Press Writer

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060113/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_hajj_28

MINA, Saudi Arabia - Thousands of Muslims surging to complete a stoning ritual before sunset stampeded Thursday after some pilgrims tripped over dropped luggage, causing a pileup that killed at least 345 people in the second tragedy to hit this year's hajj.

Saudi authorities have sought for years to ease the flow of increasingly mammoth crowds during the annual Islamic pilgrimage, but the deaths on the final day of the stoning of the devil ritual underlined the difficulty in managing one of the world's biggest religious events, which this year drew more than 2.5 million followers.

The stampede came a week after another hajj disaster — the Jan. 5 collapse of a building being used as a pilgrims' hotel that killed 76 people in Mecca.

In the stoning ritual, all the pilgrims must pass a series of three "pillars" called al-Jamarat, which represent the devil and which the faithful pelt with stones to purge themselves of sin.

The site in the desert of Mina outside the holy city of Mecca is a notorious bottleneck in the weeklong pilgrimage and has seen deadly incidents in seven of the past 17 years, including a stampede in 1990 that killed 1,426 people and one in 2004 that killed 244.

A Look at Recent Disasters at Hajj
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060113/ap_on_re_mi_ea/hajj_disasters_glance_3

By The Associated Press
Fri Jan 13, 8:45 AM ET

Disasters in recent years at the annual Muslim pilgrimage, or hajj, in Saudi Arabia:

• Jan. 12, 2006: At least 345 pilgrims are killed and hundreds are injured in a stampede caused when some pilgrims tripped over dropped luggage amid people rushing to carry out the sympbolic ritual of stoning the devil in Mina.

• Feb. 1, 2004: 244 pilgrims killed and a similar number injured in a stampede during the devil-stoning ritual.

• March 5, 2001: 35 killed in stampede during stoning of the devil ritual.

• April 9, 1998: About 180 pilgrims are trampled to death when panic erupts after several fell off an overpass during the stoning of the devil ritual.

• April 15, 1997: Fires driven by high winds tear through an overcrowded tent city at Mina, killing more than 340 pilgrims and injuring 1,500. Aid workers and diplomats said the death toll was at least 500.

• May 23, 1994: 270 pilgrims, most of them Indonesian, are killed in a stampede as worshippers surge forward for devil-stoning ritual.

• July 2, 1990: 1,426 pilgrims, many of them Malaysians, Indonesian and Pakistanis, killed in Mecca stampede in overcrowded pedestrian tunnel leading to holy sites. The worst hajj tragedy of modern times.

• July 9, 1989: Two bombs explode in Mecca, killing one pilgrim, wounding 16. Saudi authorities blame Iranian-inspired terrorists and later behead 16 Kuwaiti Shiite Muslims for bombings. Iran denied involvement.

• July 31, 1987: More than 400 people, mostly Iranian pilgrims, killed and 649 wounded in Mecca when security forces clash with Iranians staging illegal anti-U.S. demonstration

For More Detail Visit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060113/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_hajj_28

Last edited by cyrus on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
espandyar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we have a few hajis less in the world, what a tragedy!
Liberator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

espandyar wrote:
Now we have a few hajis less in the world, what a tragedy!

Laughing Exactly.

Ba Sepaas

www.anjomane-padeshahi.org
http://aryamehr11.blogspot.com/
AmirN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I’m usually with you when it comes to criticizing Islam.

But I take no pleasure when I see human suffering or loss of life, whether it’s muslim or otherwise.

This news is no less than any other tragedy. My heart goes out to the victims and the victims’ families.

I am very disappointed at the Saudi government for again failing to provide the necessary safeguards against this type of recurrent tragedy.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Rumi Poem Reply with quote

AmirN wrote:
Guys, I’m usually with you when it comes to criticizing Islam.
But I take no pleasure when I see human suffering or loss of life, whether it’s muslim or otherwise.
This news is no less than any other tragedy. My heart goes out to the victims and the victims’ families.
I am very disappointed at the Saudi government for again failing to provide the necessary safeguards against this type of recurrent tragedy.

Agree.

Rumi Poem 1207-1273 :
Ey qowm e be hajj-rafte kojaa'id, kojaa'id
Ma'shuq hamin jaa st, biyaaid, biyaaid

Pilgrims on the way To Mecca ! Where are you?
Here is the beloved, “Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life”

معصوميت ابدی

مانی ترک زاده

اين تصويرنمايانگرايرانيانی است که

بجای کفن در پرچم ايران پيچيده شده اند

و پيکرشان، همچون نماد ايرانيان شجاعی که

حاضرند جان خود را فدای حفظ اين

مظهر وحدت و غرور ملی کنند،

به دور آرامگاه کورش می چرخد.

م. ت.

Source: http://www.savepasargad.com/1.Far/ArtLit-1/Turkzadeh1.htm
espandyar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arabia is making alot of money on these Slaves (bande). They should be responsible for their safety but their way of thinking and the black stone called allah dont offer much nor do the host country!

Not much that we can do about it.

Cho IRAN nabashad tan man mabad
Bar in marzo o boom ZENDE yek tan mabad

I have never witness these moslems brotherhood care for hte Iranian suffering in fact they are doing all they can to undermine the Iranian identity now when they strp each other to death becuase of their stupidity there is nothing the world could do excpet enlight them about humanity moral and principles!

Amir jan it is never pleasent to see humanbeing suffer my ( and libs I hope) is that they have themself to blame eventhough it is sad to see such behaviour in this century!

Maybe we are all wrong and this was simply the will of god! Wink

Payande Iran
espandyar

Last edited by espandyar on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
espandyar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyrus jan

Please reconcider comparing Cyrus the great a great human being with the birth place of metroid which has become the root of much pain in the world!
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

espandyar wrote:
Cyrus jan

Please reconcider comparing Cyrus the great a great human being with the birth place of metroid which has become the root of much pain in the world!

Espandyar Jan,
Very Good Point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: