[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Prophet" Mohammed Cartoons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beh kooriye chesmaye mosalmanan! az yek shirzaneh irani!

The Age of Liberty
I am willing to go to war to defend one Danish cartoonist

February 5, 2006
iranian.com

It is hard to witness all the angry outcries and the commotion that a derogatory cartoon of Mohammad, the prophet, has unleashed and not be moved. As a writer, who has fled her native country because she wanted to seek freedom in a secular democracy, I feel like I have to put pen to paper and take a stand.

In Iran and indeed in most of Islamic countries you can either be hanged or killed by a mob for a cartoon like the one published in Denmark and later in many EU countries. When I came here to France I did not expect the heavy hand of Mullahs to reach this far. But with all these demonstrations, boycotts, and threats they have in many ways used their bullying techniques to bring about a kind of censorship even here in France, Europe and America.

The angry bearded mobs have their apologists. Clean cut Imams and college professor’s who beg the West to “understand” the difference in cultures that they believe is at the core of this crisis. Again cultural relativism has come to the rescue of the intolerant Muslim fanatics. It is indeed fanatical to ask for the death of someone for merely publishing something. When Thomas Paine wrote his, “Age of Reason,” professing his aversion to organized religion, back in the eighteenth century, he angered many devout Christians. He was ostracized and died a lonely man, but his publisher was not threatened to death and no one died because of it.

When Paine wrote, “I have always strenuously supported the Right of every Man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it,” he, with this simple and logical argument, paved the way for free thinkers for centuries to come.

Even though the Declaration of Independence talks about the rights of “man”, this Seyedeh, descendant of the house of the prophet, is more a daughter of Paine than of Mohammad. Because in the founding fathers I find the arguments behind the freedom that I am right now exercising in writing this piece. That freedom of opinion and speech is the dearest freedom to me as a writer and a woman. When I read Paine declaring: “my mind is my church,” it makes me cry it sounds so true, so near, to what I believe and who I am. Go back as far as you want in the history of my country and you will not find one woman who could have expressed herself even remotely freely. Now you may find people like me who write either in exile or with a nom de plume or both.

Here we are more than two hundred years after Thomas Paine wrote his treatise and some bearded mob in Tehran or Gaza can make whole countries and big publications tremble and apologize. This is appeasement of the worst kind and will only strengthen the enemy --- shame on the Danish authorities and editors for apologizing. Because Islam, in the way it is being practiced right now, is an intolerant anti-secular entity. They have declared a war on everything that the secular tradition of the West holds dear: most importantly the idea that people should have a right to believe, say, draw, paint, and write anything they please.

Now you may argue, as Muslim apologists do, that this cartoon “hurt” the feelings of the poor Muslim mobs and as such it should not have been printed at such a sensitive time in the history of Islam and the West. But I argue that in fact “these are trying times” and it is in times like these that we should be careful not to become lax, for fear of being branded as cultural absolutists, in our defense of liberty.

Democracy is not just about the will of the majority, we saw that at work in Iran, if not for Ahmadinejad then certainly for Khomeini. Anybody who has read John Stuart Mill knows that Democracy is about the will of the majority with respect to the individual rights of the minority. Without the latter part of this equation the former loses its meaning: democracy becomes mob rule.

I am willing to go to war to defend one Danish cartoonist. Freedom of expression is such an inherent and inalienable right that I believe all secular, freedom loving people, even if they perform their prayers five times a day, should not hesitate to put everything they have in its service.

France Soir re-printed the cartoon with the big headline, “We have a right to make fun of God!” I moved here several months ago because I wanted to enjoy this freedom. Because this way of thinking made me feel like a full human being, something I never felt as a woman in a Muslim country. Do not let their bullying ways and the new cultural relativism that appeases them get away with blurring the lines between our very different political philosophies!

In the U.S and Europe those people who hate Bush and his cronies feel like they should defend the Muslim fanatics. How incredibly naïve: I invite those well meaning liberals to come and live in Tehran and then after one arrest for having had a beer, we will talk about tolerating cultural differences. I believe all these Muslim apologists in the great learning institutions of the West should come and spend some time in the field!

As I have said many times before, freedom is a universal. Even dogs don’t like to be chained or dressed by men. Our anthropological understanding of cultural phenomena around the globe should not blur our understanding that certain “truths” are unalienable and such should be non-negotiable. He/she who denies another the right to an opinion is a fascist! A fascist is a fascist is a fascist whether in a turban or an SS uniform it does not matter!

www.anjomane-padeshahi.org
http://aryamehr11.blogspot.com/
Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy intolerance
How difficult is it to understand that Western governments can not tell their media to enforce Islamic Sharia just as they do not enforce the Jewish laws?

David Etebari
February 6, 2006
iranian.com

The recent worldwide Muslim reaction to the cartoons (http://drawmohammed.com/thumbnails-2.html) that were published in a Danish newspaper is a good opportunity for the Muslims and their religious leaders to take a deeper look at their own actions before blaming the western media and governments:

1- These cartoons were published in a privately owned Danish newspaper 4 months ago (September of 2005). The publicity for the cartoons were initially created by the reaction of the Muslims in Denmark and later in other parts of the world. It was only after the news of the Muslim reaction that the European media (as well as others) started printing the news as well as the cartoons for their readers. Therefore the people who truly publicized the cartoons were Muslims by their over-reaction and not the Danish government or people. This was also the case with the Salmon Rushdi’s book which thanks to some Muslims and Khomeini death fatwa it became one of the worldwide best sellers!

2- If one reads the Danish newspaper and its positions, it is obvious that the intention of the drawings were to spark an INTERNAL debate on whether there still exists freedom of expression or it has given way to the self-censorship in Denmark. However the Muslim reaction resulted in an atmosphere of death threats to the cartoonists to the extent that they are now forced in to hiding.

3- It was not until after the publicities by the Islamic Conference and the Gulf Cooperation Council as well as Saudi, Egyptian, Kuwaiti, Iranian ... governments that the worldwide reaction by angry Muslims mushroomed. In fact after 4 months many people (Muslim and non-Muslim) have not yet seen the cartoons but every time that the news of another Muslim riot is shown in the world wide media , more people get curious to see what the cartoons were all about and therefore more media coverage is given to them. If cartoons initially portrayed to the limited Danish newspaper readers a hostile or intolerant vision of Islam and its prophet, it is now the angry and intolerant Moslem mobs who are proving such view of Islam worldwide! The ones who now give legitimacy to the cartoons are no longer the cartoonist, but the ones who make death threats and those who burn flags and the buildings! In the words of a Jordanian journalist who is sadly now arrested for expressing his opinion: "Muslims who turn to violence in order to register their displeasure with the cartoons only turn themselves into the same caricatures against which they protest. "

4- Governments such as Iran, Saudi Arabia , Kuwait, Egypt, etc are facing many internal problems and dissatisfaction with their own people. What better tactic than turning their people's attention to satanic non-Muslim west while buying themselves legitimacy with their masses for standing up for the prophet of Islam? They also are giving their people the subliminal message that: "This is what happens with Freedom of speech. It depicts your prophet, so let us handle your affairs!".

5- Western media (and even Moslem media) is often filled with cartoons of Jesus, Moses and even GOD (the old beaded man) but we do not see some Muslims burn flags nor their governments boycott products when they see the caricature of God in the European papers but somehow they get outraged when it comes to their prophet. One wonder who is holier for some: God or his prophet? The Muslim concept of not drawing the prophet was supposedly to prevent his idolization, but aren’t such reactions in nature an example of idolization of him while tolerating the cartoons of the old bearded man!? Doesn't Islam also believe in Jesus and Moses as prophets of God? If so, why is it that Muslims and their leaders did not get outraged when Al-Jazeera portrayed the invading western troops as a armed fat Jesus or when it showed him as a pot smoking hippy? Why do Christians have to tolerate that and Muslims should not? Why didn’t Muslim show their public street outrage when Taliban bombed engraved statue of Buddha in Afghanistan?

6- How difficult is it to understand that the laws of Islam may state that portrayal of the Muslim prophet is not allowed, but the laws of Denmark does not. How difficult is it to understand that Western governments can not tell their media to enforce Islamic Sharia just as they do not enforce the Jewish laws. Denmark and western countries have many newspapers and media from extreme left to right, from Muslim to Communist, From Buddhist to Zionist, from democrat to Nazi and they all are tolerated and not controlled by their government as oppose to most papers in Muslim countries which are under government control. How difficult is it to understand that these papers do not reflect the opinion of their government or all of their people. Punishing Danish citizens and businessmen by telling them to leave middle east or not buying their products for cartoons that were printed in a privately owned Danish magazine is an attempt to force Muslim beliefs on non-Muslims and to control their media against their constitution.

It is time that Muslims focus on those who create the atmosphere for creation of such cartoons. It is those who kill innocent people in the streets of Baghdad, New York, Paris, London, Madrid, ... and those who cut the journalists throats in the name of Islam who truly present an intolerant, hateful and angry image of Islam. Where are the outraged Muslim Imams and Mullahs of Europe and middle east when their Muslim brothers and sisters are blown in to pieces in the street of Baghdad by suicide bombers on a daily basis?

May be if the Muslims masses in Indonesia or Beirut would also had shown their anger over such atrocities done in the name of their religion, such cartoons would not have disappeared. Sooner or later many Muslims have to get a thicker skin and come out of the bubble many live in and stop getting so outraged over a cartoon while they don't seem to mind the very real issues affecting their own people. In the streets of Baghdad and in the jails of the Islamic republic of Iran, Danish people and their cartoonists do not kill Muslims... those who call themselves Muslims do.

A French editorial hit the nail right on the head when it wrote: "Islam forbids any representation of the Prophet,... The question is, are all those who are not Muslims obliged to honor that prohibition? Can you imagine a society that added up ALL the prohibitions of the different religions? What would remain of the freedom to think, to speak, or even to come and go freely?"

Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veteran of Iran-Iraq war, in a letter to the Islamic Republic's Commerce Ministry proposes to rename "Danish pastry" to "Gol Mohammadi"!!!

http://www.isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-663573&Lang=P

I hope this guy goes and throws himself down the chah of his "Imam Zaman" in Jamkaran and spares his intelligent islamic statements for his visit down below with allah!

Ba Sepaas

Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject: Don't be intimidated!
Source: Iranian
Date 06-02-2006

Don't be intimidated!
On the row over “offensive” cartoons
Azar Majedi

http://www.marzeporgohar.org/index.php?action=news&n_id=28021&l=1

The charade by Islamists over the publication ofthe cartoons depicting the Mohammed (prophet) as a suicide bomber is being taken too seriously by many. Apologies after apologies are being delivered to Islamic governments and thugs. Any apology makes them more vicious and more daring. The only weapon they have is hostage taking, bullying, intimidating, killing, maiming, and offending any human values and any libertarian rights.

We should not apologize to these reactionary forces who have organized the most sophisticated machinery of oppression and intimidation, who have organized and mobilized an army of terrorists world wide, who have been terrorizing the citizens of the Islamic ridden countries as well as citizens of the world, who have the worst criminal record.

This is their weapon: resorting to terror while appearing as victims. They kill, maim, stone to death people for wanting their rights, for wanting freedom, for wanting a better life. They humiliate women daily, deprive them of their rights, torture them for not observing the rule of Islam, and when someone dares to tell the truth about their atrocities, they become offended, they cry for their “violated dignities”, they become “sacred”. This is nothing but blackmail. Just the same way as they take innocent people hostage daily, by crying for their “sacred” beliefs, they take our conscious hostage. This is their method of survival.

The world without unconditional freedom of expression and criticism will be a very doll and scary world to live. These values are result of long and hard fought battles. We have to preserve the right to unconditional expression and criticism. Nothing is sacred for everyone. Thus everyone must have the right to criticize or ridicule any “sacred” concept, object or belief. The only way we can build a better and more humane world is to safeguard with all our power these sacred values. Unconditional freedom of expression and criticism is the sacred value, we should maintain.

Islamists become offended and hysterical too often. They should learn to be more tolerant, more respectful of libertarian rights that have been won through long struggles by humanity and progressive forces. We should teach them to respect freedom and civil rights. We should teach them to respect women’s rights. We should teach them not too readily resort to terror and intimidation. How? By standing firm to their face, and say no apologies are due. If any, it is your turn to apologize for all your crimes against humanity.

About
Azar Majedi is Chairperson of the Organisation of Women's Liberation. and producer-presenter of "No to Political Islam" an NCTV programme.

Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danish embassy in Iran comes under attack
Mon. 06 Feb 2006
Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Feb. 06 – Hand grenades and cocktail Molotovs were hurled at the Danish embassy in Tehran as several hundred radical Islamists attacked the compound Monday night in protest to the publishing of several cartoons in a Danish daily depicting the prophet Mohammad negatively.

The protestors, members of the Bassij – an offshoot of the Revolutionary Guards – demanded that the Danish ambassador be expelled from Iran.

There were chants of “Death to America” and “Death to Denmark” as Danish flags were set on fire.

The embassy had been evacuated before the attack took place.

Parts of the embassy compound were set on fire during the attack which followed a similar fiery attack on the Austrian embassy earlier in the day.

Some 200 hard-line members of the paramilitary Bassij force held a violent protest outside the Austrian embassy protesting the publishing of the cartoons in European dailies as well as a resolution adopted by the board of governors of the United Nations nuclear watchdog reporting Tehran’s nuclear file to the Security Council.

Protestors attacked the embassy with fire bombs and stones, shattering several windows and setting on fire parts of the compound.

Austria currently holds the European Union’s rotating Presidency. On Saturday, the board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency adopted a European resolution reporting Tehran’s nuclear file to the Security Council.

On Sunday, Iran’s Majlis (Parliament) Speaker said that the recent cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammad which have sparked a wave of protests across Europe were linked to the international dispute over the Islamic Republic’s refusal to end its sensitive nuclear activities.

Gholam-Ali Haddad-Adel told Majlis deputies, “The West cannot tolerate Muslims’ dignity and authority so it is determined to humiliate them”.

Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran Cuts Trade with Denmark

February 06, 2006
Reuters
From correspondents in Tehran

http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=en&y=2006&m=02&d=06&a=14

Iran has cut all trade ties with Denmark because of the publication of satirical cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad, Iranian Commerce Minister Massoud Mirkazemi was quoted as saying. "All trade ties with Denmark were cut," he was quoted by the Iranian student news agency ISNA as telling a news conference.

He said from tomorrow, Iran would stop any Danish goods from entering its customs areas.

Iran imports $US280 million worth of goods from Denmark a year.

Fire Bombs Thrown at Danish Embassy

February 06, 2006
Reuters
From Correspondents in Tehran

http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=en&y=2006&m=02&d=06&a=13

A crowd of about 400 demonstrators threw petrol bombs and large rocks at the Danish embassy in Tehran tonight in a protest over the publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammad. A correspondent at the scene said about 20 petrol bombs had been thrown at the embassy, which sits behind a high wall in a residential district of northern Tehran.

Only one of the petrol bombs had gone over the wall, to loud cheers from the crowd.

The embassy building itself did not appear to be damaged.

blank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti Danish cartoons' rallies turn into fiasco for the
regime

SMCCDI (information Service)
February 6, 2006

An Islamist crowd, composed mainly by Bassij Para-military
force's members, smashed windows and threw several petrol
bombs and pieces of rocks at the Austrian and Danish
embassies in Tehran.

The organized rallies were intending to show, what was
supposed to be, the massive indignation of Iranians over
the publication of cartoons depicting the Islamic Prophet
Mohammad. But despite all supports from governmental
circles and advertisements made by Mosques related to the
theocratic regime, which had called for a massive
participation, the demonstrators stayed under 400
individuals while the Iranian Capital has over 12 millions
of inhabitants.

The regime's regular Law Enforcement Forces made a show of
resistance in facing the Islamists. The scenario was to
fill the lack of Iranians "collective indignation" while
showing, as well, some aspect of challenges for foreign
journalists reporting from Iran.

This lack of popular support, for fanatical ways of
expression and some of the political goals of the Islamic
regime, is much more significant, as; it's coinciding with
the Shia ritual of Moharam month and the Ashura mourning.
By Islamists believe, Iranians should have been more
sensible to any parameter which might affect their
religion, but the today's event showed that this is not the
case, contrary to many other majoritary Muslim nations.

The today's fiasco, for the clerics, marks the unpopularity
of the ideological pillars of the Islamic republic regime
and shows better the increasing secular aspiration of
Iranians. It also proves Iranians sense of respect for the
freedom of expression, while many of them might have their
objection to the published cartoons.

It also underlines how Iranians are rejecting any call to
attack any diplomatic mission, contrary to a terrorist
regime which its leaders saw, in the seizure of the US
Embassy and the hostage taking of American diplomats, a
"second revolution".

http://daneshjoo.org/publishers/smccdinews/article_4511.shtml

----------------------------------

Comments / Nazariat:
Tel: +1 (972) 504-6864
Fax: +1 (972) 491-9866
E.mail: smccdi@daneshjoo.org

www.daneshjoo.org www.iranstudents.org

The "Student Movement Coordination Committee for Democracy
in Iran" (SMCCDI) / "Komite e Hamahangui e Jonbesh e
Daneshjoo i Baraye Democracy dar Iran"
Liberator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islamic Toons
http://www.cartoonstock.com/

Yemen M's

Man, I can't understand a damn word!

Ronaldo Dias:
Selected from
Adventures of Ahmed The Suicide Bomber

Liberator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus and Mo Comics
Selected Comics from
Adventures of Jesus and Mo!
and
The Jesus and Moe Talk Show
Check this wonderful site:
http://www.jesusandmo.net/

Jesus Loves You
Allah Bless you

Liberator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus and Mo Comics
Best of

Jesus loves you
Allah bless you

blank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danish Embassies around the world, in case you want to write and express your disgust with all these demonstrations.

http://www.danishexporters.dk/scripts/danishexporters/danishEmbassies.asp?landekode=GB#a
Liberator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muslims stone the Danish Cartoonist to death:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: