[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What religion are all of you people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Philosophy and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
O btw i like your explanation of evil. Mind if i adopt it?

Sure. Its the best explanation I've ever heard. The guy who came up with it was a 6th century philosopher named Augustus. The Catholics made him a saint, but he was only a man. He said it like this "Without light, darkness prevails."

Cyrizian
anusiya

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm back for about 5 minutes to post a link to a site you may not like reading:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503544502&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaE
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey anusiya, welcome back. BTW very interesting site. Many times I have submitted questions like this to Islamic scholars and so far I have never received a reply. So you can imagine that I was rather psyched to see such a reply posted on an islamic website. The scholar claims that what was done in the quran has no meaning on our current lives.
Quote:
The answer is simple and that is, you should read these verses in their textual and historical context.

Apparently what was done then was purely historical and no muslim today should follow in their example. It is very strange that any religious leader should imply that what he is doing is not what a follower of this religion should do. Isn't the leader of a religion (especially the founder) supposed to be an example? Why then does he take so many wives when he forbids his followers to take more than 4? There are many more examples of this as well.
But back to the website, suddenly the writer switches gears and attacks other religions (notice that he specifically attacks Christians and Jews, not buddists or hindus or anyone else)
He supposedly quotes scriptures from the bible both new and old testaments. Claiming that they have also allowed such murderous behavior. Why does he put blame on other religions instead of defending his own? Now as to these supposed verses that promote violence, The first verse he gives is from Duetronomy. Now let me first say this, I am a Christian and not a Jew. I dont always agree with everything that Jews do. However this is an interesting verse so I will do some commentation on it. The Jews had been treated horribly for hundreds of years by their neighbors (if you can even call them that) They were enslaved, murdered, raped, forced into removal from their land and so on and so forth. For nearly 200 years or more the jews had been enslaved in Egypt and had just recently been set free by moses. For nearly 600 years the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites had been warned through several prophets that if they didnt change their ways (sexual imorallity, cruelty, hatred, murdering, you name it) They would be completely destroyed. After 600 years nothing had changed. God wanted to create a pure nation amongst the filth. He wanted none of the above things to infect his people so he ordered them to kill them all in order that they might remain untouched by their sinfulness. (This is a part of the contract that God made with the israelites.) It was all about remaining pure and holy before their Lord and King. 600 years is a lot of mercy for these people. If you read the account they were very barbaric. But they had plenty of chances. Now as to his claim that Jesus said
Quote:
“I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence." (Luke 19:26-27)

I actually laughed pretty hard because he must have been very desperate to use this as an excuse for his religion's faults. Jesus was telling a parable (story) about a King and his servants and his enemies. He wasn't talking about himself.
Seriously the writer of this webpage says
Quote:
You should read the whole verse and it is better that you read few verses before and few after. Read the full text and see what is said

And he himself doesn't even do this to make sure that Jesus is talking about himself. This guy is really hurting every muslims case that you can be smart AND be a muslim. If someone attacks my religion I don't go blame it on some other religion. I stand my ground on what I believe and why. This is a very cowardly tactic to use in any debate. And I certainly don't go and make false claims about another religion without even doing any research first. I've actually talked to Buddists that do a better job defending islam than this guy.
Anyway, You got anymore of these websites? I love reading them. I always get a laugh out of responses like these.
anusiya

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence." (Luke 19:26-27)

I think he's trying to illustrate not to take things out of context. I don't think hes attacking Christianity, only showing not to take things out of context.

Anyway, click around on the site - oh, and ask him your questions (unless you want my personal answer) because hes probably more well educated than I am.

O btw - what did the Buddhists say? (and why ....)
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at some other things on this site and I will ask him some questions. though I doubt he will answer.

Hahahahah. The buddhists. That was a funny day. Anyway they are a few of my classmates from college. They said that "Islam is more about unifying a brutal and uncivilized race than it is a religion." And in that category it succeeds rather well. They said that "because of Islam, Arabs now have a national identity and a great history" (i disagree). "It brought unity where there was disunity and focus where there was chaos though it did NOT bring peace." They also said that "even though muslims have caused them alot of suffering in the past, they realize that it is because muslims are jealous of the peace and tranquility that Buddhism creates." And that "they need not be jealous because they are just as welcome to learn the path of the Buddha as anyone else." I love to talk to Buddhists because they have such an open mind and love to talk about things and debate issues. They almost never get mad or offended if you talk about their religion unlike alot of muslims I talk to. (honestly anusiya, your one of the few - though your actually ahmadi)
anusiya

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

interesting idea. (i meant about unifying the arabs). Wikipedia seems to give a similar reason for the arab conquests: "Any regime that aimed to unite all Arabs would have to conquer the Syrian steppe" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_conquest_of_Persia) That may be why muslims got minced by mongols about 500yrs after they entered iran, and then got minced by british 1700 onwards.

"it did not bring peace" - no, but then neither did christianity (i know youll say that the crusaders weren't doing as jesus would have done - but the simple fact is that they went rampaging around the middle east because of christianity). And besides, under arab rule romans and persians didn't fight each other anymore. just like under mongol rule, turkish and persians didn't fight each other anymore.

WOO MONGOLS lol

O btw, when you said: "one of the few" did you mean "one of the few who get offended" (in which case I say sorry and try to reform myself) or "one of the few muslims who don't get offended" (in which case thanx Smile )
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said peace I/they meant inner peace. Muslims are constantly fighting everyone including other muslims. I dont see buddhists fighting each other or christians for that matter. (Irish people don't count cause they just like to fight over anything) And the crusaders werent crusading because of christianity (that was just an excuse) they were after land, power and wealth (same things that muslim leaders are after). And for christians those days are long gone (1000 years ago!) But muslims are still doing that to this day.

When I said "one of the few" I meant one of the few muslims who dont get offended
anusiya

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i see what you mean now.

Quote:
(Irish people don't count cause they just like to fight over anything)

lol.

Quote:
When I said "one of the few" I meant one of the few muslims who dont get offended

yay ty Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Philosophy and Religion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: