[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Government's Royal Gift to the Ayatollahs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telegraph

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: The Government's Royal Gift to the Ayatollahs Reply with quote

Source: http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/02/09/dl0901.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/02/09/ixoplead.html
Monday, February 09, 2004

The Government's Royal Gift to the Ayatollahs

February 09, 2004
Telegraph

Should the Government allow the Prince of Wales to be placed in the invidious position of calling upon President Khatami of Iran? Ministers must surely be aware that the visit might turn out to be used as propaganda by a theocratic regime that has been waging psychological warfare on the people since the Islamist Revolution of 1979.

After all, one of the key themes in the mullahs' attempts to demoralise the Iranian opposition has been that the West talks big about freedom, but that when the chips are down, democracy is the least of its concerns. The regime asserts that the Europeans, in particular, will do business with whoever is in power in Teheran. As of today, it is hard to disagree with the Islamists' cynical analysis.

The Prince's visit is the ceremonial culmination of long-time British policy towards Iran, which is based upon two premises. First, as our Diplomatic Editor, Anton La Guardia, reports today, there is a sense of debt on the part of the Government towards the Islamic Republic for not causing too much trouble during the Anglo-American actions in Afghanistan and Iraq. Second, there is the project of tilting the balance within the Iranian regime against the ayatollahs, embodied by Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader, and in favour of the "moderates", personified by Mr Khatami.

Perhaps we will soon find out that the Prince's visit represents advance payment on a Libyan-style recantation of rogue state status. Such a vindication is unlikely. The Iranians temporarily acquiesced in the Anglo-American invasions of their neighbours for their own reasons: they recognised they could not stop these developments, and anyhow felt no affection for the vanquished Taliban and Ba'athist regimes.

But they are not our tacit allies in Iraq, let alone our friends: indeed, if a successful form of government were established there, the Iraqi model would become a dagger poised at the heart of the Iranian regime. The Iranians thus have a vested interest in Anglo-American failure in Iraq.

But the greatest delusion concerns the efficacy of Mr Khatami as a reformer. Since coming to power in 1997, he has proved to be a great disappointment to his one-time supporters, many of whom now languish in jail. He stood by when clerical vigilantes murdered students during the riots of 1999; he was inert when "hardliners" closed the newspapers in 2000; and he buckled under this year when Mr Khamenei refused to delay the irreparably flawed election.

Meanwhile, the Americans state that work on a second advanced uranium enrichment plant proceeds apace. Intentionally or not, Mr Khatami has rendered the mullahs great service: opening dialogue with the West without altering the basis of their power. It is a potentially far greater failure of Western intelligence than the inability to find WMD in Iraq.
salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: SLAP TO THE FACT DAMNIT! Reply with quote

This is really a royal slap in the face of the Iranian people - but what do you expect.. he's british - they are good at slapping the Iranian people day in and day out!

Faster Please!
stefania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! WELL SAID.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hhakimi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Brits Royal Gift to the Ayatollahs Reply with quote

Brits Royal Gift to the Ayatollahs

Prince Charles visit to Basra and Iran (so called visiting Bam victims) seems to be imitation surprise visit of Bush to Iraq, with slight difference;

George W. Bush paid that visit during Christmas and New Year festive days, Prince Charles is going to Iran during Islamic Regime’s festive days. (Daheh zajr )

Although British Embassy tried to cover this visit up, but Reuters gave the cat out of the bag early and now BBC is reporting in full text. Yet North American media have not much mention to the surprise.

Is this support to so called reformists? Yes, certainly is

Is this a tactic to reinstall the Islamic Regime for another longer period? Yes, certainly is
Is this a cover up to find out how they mullahs have to disappear? Yes, certainly is,
Is this to tell mullah how they can sneak to Iraq, using their Helicopters? Yes, certainly is
Smart Iranians should close the air-fields before mullahs are able to flee….
Brits are positioned in Iran’s border to let these tigers sneak out when time is up.

Monday 9 February 2004
19:35

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: SLAP TO THE FACT DAMNIT! Reply with quote

kian wrote:
This is really a royal slap in the face of the Iranian people - but what do you expect.. he's british - they are good at slapping the Iranian people day in and day out!

Faster Please!

Excuse me, that is a racist remark and I find it quite insulting. There is no need for that. Please remember to separate the British government from us, the British people. Those of us who know about the real Iran never wanted Charles to go visit the Mullahs.
salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: SLAP TO THE FACT DAMNIT! Reply with quote

19:35 wrote:
kian wrote:

Faster Please!

Excuse me, that is a racist remark and I find it quite insulting. There is no need for that. Please remember to separate the British government from us, the British people. Those of us who know about the real Iran never wanted Charles to go visit the Mullahs.

Sorry if you were insulted - I meant to say Brit Government.. my apolgies..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: SLAP TO THE FACT DAMNIT! Reply with quote

kian wrote:
19:35 wrote:
kian wrote:

Faster Please!

Sorry if you were insulted - I meant to say Brit Government.. my apolgies..

That's OK, apology accepted. I can understand the strength of feeling against Western governments giving legitimacy to this régime. Maybe I should email my MP to complain...
redemption

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: d Reply with quote

I like the unity here -- lets not misintepret each other and instead go kick some Mullah ass!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: