[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time is Running Out Where Is The Real Support?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Washington Post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: In Iran, Daring to Dream of Democracy Reply with quote

Sunday, March 07, 2004
In Iran, Daring to Dream of Democracy

March 07, 2004
In Iran, Daring to Dream of Democracy
The Washington Post
Afshin Molavi
http://iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=en&y=2004&m=03&d=07&a=8

This past summer at a major intersection in Tehran, I stood under a massive mural of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, watching a gray-bearded cleric trying to hail a cab. None stopped for him. By my count, eight empty taxis passed by without picking him up.

Residents of the Iranian capital have become familiar with this scene. Several clerics have told me that they literally de-frock and put on civilian clothes when they want to catch a cab. One young seminary student told me: "I don't even bother with taxis, but buses aren't much better. When I get on, people whisper behind my back. When I'm in a store, people smile and wish me well, but I see in their eyes that they don't like me." My Tehran barber, Hossein, a 38-year-old man who grew up in a religious home, puts it this way: "When I was growing up and we saw a cleric walking down the street, my father would insist that I go out of my way to say hello to him. Today, I steer my own children away from them."

Given these anti-clerical attitudes in the Islamic Republic of Iran, it's small wonder that the 25th anniversary of Khomeini's return from exile passed with little note there. But it is still remarkable nonetheless. On Feb. 1, 1979, the unbending cleric who dared to defy the shah was met in Tehran by a jubilant, expectant crowd of nearly 2 million. He proclaimed "the spring of freedom" for the Iranian people, promised economic deliverance for the poor, and lambasted America and the West with a sound and fury that stunned many in Western capitals.

Today, the radical experiment in religious governance that he launched is viewed with widespread disillusion. Khomeini and his allies created a system that gave only limited democratic spaces to the people and granted decisive power to the new inheritors of the Iranian realm -- the clergy. The traditional authoritarianism of Persia held. This time, however, the king wore a turban.

It is often noted that Iranians are frustrated with their isolation and deteriorating economy. But something deeper is going on in Iran -- a wide-ranging repudiation of the mingling of religion and politics, and a growing movement for secular democracy. As a Farsi speaker (I left Iran when I was a child), I've been able to speak to Iranians directly. In villages and cities I visited last summer, I often heard people say, "Let the necktie-wearers come back," a direct reference to secular technocrats whose record of economic management in the Shah's era far exceeded the past 25 years.

Even in seminaries, a rising number of clerics publicly advocate the separation of mosque and state, arguing (accurately) that Khomeini's vision of Islamic rule upended more than a thousand years of classical Shiite tradition, which prohibited clergy from ruling the state. It's time to get back to the fundamentals of private religious guidance and instruction, they argue -- a critical point since Khomeini is often referred to in the West as a fundamentalist. In reality, he was a Shiite aberration.

Although much of Iran's population -- weary of social and political restrictions and the failed promises of the revolution -- has embraced the idea of democratic change, it still isn't sure how to get there. The reform movement that captivated the population with the 1997 and 2001 presidential election victories of Mohammad Khatami is largely spent, outmuscled by its hard-line foes. February's conservative "victory" in a parliamentary election in which the vast majority of reformist candidates were barred from running is another nail in the reformist coffin. Pro-democracy student groups have publicly renounced their support for Khatami and the country's reformists. The rest of Iran's population has given up on them, too. As one Iranian businessman told me, "Enough of the timid reformers in turbans. We need to move on."

Move on to what? Though no major figure has emerged as a leader, the idea of secular democracy is filling the vacuum, particularly among Iranians under the age of 30, who comprise nearly two-thirds of the population. One need look only at the country's Islamic student unions, once a bastion of pro-Khomeini zealotry, to witness this change. Today, they serve as leading voices for secular democracy. One student group, the Daftar-e-Tahkim-e-Vahdat (formed upon Khomeini's orders in the early days of the revolution to counter campus leftists), has repudiated Khomeini's vision of Islamic government and has dismissed Khatami's "Islamic democracy" as irrelevant. As one Daftar leader, Akbar Atri, put it, "We want democracy without a prefix or suffix. That means no Islamic democracy."

What's more, some of the most vigorous student democracy advocates hail from families of former revolutionaries, the religious middle classes and clerics. This is not an elitist movement of Westernized, secular liberals, but a homegrown one composed of many of the same classes that supported Khomeini. We recall that Khomeini once dismissed democracy as alien to Iranian culture. Before him, the shah said Iranians need kings, not parliaments. Today's Iranians see democracy as the natural next step in their evolution.

How long that will take, though, with the conservative clerics still in control, is anyone's guess.

Admittedly, not all Iranians have embraced the principles of secular democracy. For many, it's just the next system worth trying after the Islamic Republic's economic failures.

If the great Ronald Reagan debating line -- "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?" -- were put to Iranians with a different timeline -- "Are you better off today than you were 25 years ago?" -- the answer would be "no." Iranians are today poorer, less free in the social realm and only marginally more free politically than before the revolution. In inflation-adjusted terms, Iranians today earn roughly one-fourth of what they did before the revolution. Educational opportunities have expanded, but job opportunities have not. Unemployment hovers at 20 percent and underemployment is widespread: engineers drive taxis, professors work as traders. The secular, technocratic middle class has been decimated.

In public protests, people chant,
"The mullahs live like kings, while we live in poverty!" Leading Iranian clerics, who plied populist themes and class-based resentment in their rise to power, have settled comfortably into the villas and palaces of the shah's elite. Iranians under the age of 30, "the children of the revolution," live their lives in varying degrees of revolt ranging from active political dissent to more common and more subtle acts of resistance -- quiet defiance of strict social laws or simply voting with their feet. Last year, nearly 200,000 of the best and brightest left the country legally; tens of thousands leave illegally.

Iranian college campuses, however, offer glimmers of hope. The leftist, anti-imperialist ideas of the 1970s have given way to a more pragmatic discourse about economic and political dignity based on Western models of secular democracy. Iranian youth largely dismiss the radical ideas of their parents' generation, full of half-baked leftism, Marxist economics, Third World anti-imperialism, Islamist radicalism and varying shades of utopian totalitarianism. "We just want to be normal," is typical of what hundreds of students have told me. "We're tired of radicalism." Another student told me, "We're not rich enough to be radical leftists. We have to worry about getting a job."

For inspiration, Iranian youth would do well to turn back to the era of their great-grandparents and the 1906-11 Constitutional Revolution, Iran's first attempt at democratic reform. That era produced a constitution that embraced democracy, secularism, women's rights and a strong parliament. Ultimately, the movement was snuffed out by royalist reactionaries and foreign powers (namely the British and Russians). But the dream of that movement -- of a fair society based on just laws and of an independent, democratic, secular and prosperous Iran -- not died. It lives even stronger among today's "children of the Islamic revolution." That, in the end, might be the Islamic Republic's most lasting -- and ironic -- legacy.
asher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the latest poster for that enlightening article!

Hashem, you are right to be suspicious of politicians but wrong to use your cynicism as an excuse for inaction.

Kerry's whole veneer of "complexity" is a sham designed to take in the intellectually lazy. Don't fall for it. There is a difference between "complexity" and plain confusion, and as a reasonably intelligent, 41-year-old adult, I think I can tell them apart. Can someone explain for me the difference between "dead wrong" and "not correct"? I didn't think so.

This kind of nonsense would be amusing were it not for the deadly serious implications of this man running for the presidency. It's not the sign of a man who's good at making fine distinctions; it's the sign of a man WHO CANNOT MAKE ANY DISTINCTIONS AT ALL. I've been opposed to some aspects of the Patriot act, but to compare it to the Taliban regime in Afghanistan is simply abhorrent. Victims of Muslim fundamentalism everywhere ought to puke.

The Kerry aide breezily refers to "the moral clarity ... of George Bush that distorts and gets reality wrong", but doesn't trouble himself to explain exactly HOW Bush got reality wrong. The fact is - and we all know it - Bush has got a pretty good grip on reality.

Kerry can keep his French philosophers. I want a President who can think for himself.
Letter To Congress!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: A Public Letter for the Attention of the 108th U.S. Congress Reply with quote

A Public Letter for the Attention of the 108th U.S. Congress
http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/washingtontimes/ads/5036590_2004-03-11/5036590_2004-03-11.asp
March 11, 2004
Washington Times
Commentary Section

Student Movement Coordination Committee for Democracy in Iran (SMCCDI)

President of the U.S. Senate

U.S. Vice-President

Richard Cheney

Speaker of the U.S.

House of Representatives

J. Dennis Hastert

Honorable members of the 108th U.S. Congress

Dear Vice President Cheney, Dear Speaker of the House Hastert, Dear members of the 108th Congress,

This letter is a view of concern with the fragmented U.S. policy toward the theocratic regime in Iran.

As prescribed by the U.S. Constitution, President George W. Bush has, on several occasions definitively outlined American policy toward the Islamic republic regime. These policies outlined by your respected President clearly clarify the outstanding issues of US consternation with the oligarchic and autocratic despotic governance in our country.

Coincident with President Bush's clarification of current Iranian regime issues of concern, your leaders from both houses of congress and executive branch advisors have also defined the same Islamic regime requirements that must be met, to revise U.S. sanctions or to establish any formal relation with an illegitimate regime.

It is without doubt, that a promulgated clarification of these policies and standards are needed, as a point of reference for a few in Congress as well as the Iranian people.

Distinguished members of the U.S. Congress,

The overwhelming national exasperation with the despotic regime in Iran, and the unprecedented geopolitical changes in Afghanistan and Iraq best defines our situation today. The eradication of brutal and renegade regimes in the two neighboring states by the U.S., and President George W. Bush's repeated public support of Iranian freedom lovers and secular forces are buoying belief that we can benefit from your strong support in our mission to free Iran. Through pragmatism and assertiveness, there is now a clear possibility of future regional accountability and peace, especially in Iran. It's stronger, with such knowledge and hope, that our countrymen are rising up, once again, against the mullahs' tyranny and their so-called reformists' demagoguery by employing all possible means of civil disobedience available.

A recent example of the Iranian peoples' will to free themselves of the despotic mullahs occured on February 20th, 2004, when the majority of voting age Iranians boycotted the sham elections the illegitimate regime attempted to perpetrate. Proving to the world that the mullahs' government is illegal and not based upon a popular representation basis. As amply reported, Iranians boycotted the sham election to show their disgust, and then proceeded to demonstrate and protest against the heavy-handed and brutal mullahcracy. Prior to that, the refusal of Iranians to support the so-called regime's reformists, who for seven years occupied the Iranian Parliament with their empty promises, demonstrates clearly that few, if any, still believe in the sham theory of reforms coming from within. The vast majority of our countrymen have made their point by sending a clear message to the World that "they want to totally rid themselves of this illegal and unreformable regime."

This clear message has since been reiterated by thousands of brave teachers and maverick Iranian Women who despite knowing the dangers defyied the regime by striking or celebrating the banned "Int.'l Women Day". More protest actions and shows of defiance are planned at the occasion of our upcoming banned ancestral and cultural events, which are qualified by the dogmatic mullahs as "pagan tradition".

So let it be said and understood once and for all that Iranians do not want a theocracy or a customized 'reformist' oligarchy. They want a real democracy! Let it also be understood that Iranians do not want to be associated with terror and fanaticism. They do, however, want to participate as a respected nation in a world of peace and prosperity!

Therefore, an unanimous message must be sent by the U.S. Congress and, especially, the U.S. State Department that, indeed, concurs and supports President Bush's Iranian statements. Your President's goals of helping our countrymen to, indeed, determine their own national destiny must be understood and scrupulously followed by all members of congress. It is also tantamount that the U.S. government firmly demand that the rest of the world, especially the European Union, eliminate its' often surreptitious and unlawful financial relations that effectively bankrolls the Islamic regime. Assisting the Iranian people cast off the despotic regime through a referendum under UN auspices and U.S. observation, as implemented in South Africa will legitimately determine the true will of the Iranian people.

It is also mandatory that the Theocratic regime's blood stained humanitarian record of repression be forwarded to the UN Security Council, following the upcoming UNCHR session. Appropriate UN actions must then be taken against this repressive and backward structure by the world community to resolve the human rights abuses the mullahs are committing.

Distinguished representatives of the noble American people,

In recent years Iranians have shown, on several occasions, their bravery despite persistent brutal regime repression. They have demonstrated their rejection of terrorism, and how they're striving for peace and freedom. Many of you surely remember the compassionate images from Iran following the Islamic terrorist atrocity of September 11th, 2001. The Iranian candlelight marchers were subjected to numerous vicious assaults by the regime's mercenaries and zealots sending a clear message of our people's deep humanitarianism, political maturity, and readiness to pay the ultimate price for freedom in our homeland and Worldwide peace.

But, despite all of these clear signals sent by the Iranian people, it appears that a few in the U.S. Congress, including the apparent democratic presidential hopeful, are still having doubts about the urgency of our situation and the true aspirations of our countrymen. Misguided Iranian neophytes, controversial fund raisers, and unscrupulous commercial circles lobbying congress for short-term benefit from this inhumane situation that exists for many Iranians encapsulates this Machiavellian scenario. They, your few errant colleagues, have closed their eyes and ears to the plight of our countrymen seeking freedom and democracy by demonstrating and projecting a muddled American position. Their course of action, unfortunately, borders on endorsing the mullahs' despotism. Oft heard comments and erroneous statements by your few politically motivated colleagues mislead and are an attempt to exploit and obfuscate the Iranian peoples aspirations of freedom. The regime's meetings and convivial dinners with your congressional brethren is misleadingly used by the tyrants to justify their brutal existence in Iran. The entire Machiavellian charade is paid for with the untold loss of Iranian lives, blood and suffering so your few colleagues can dream of establishing "meaningful" relations with the tyrants. Compounding their arrogance, we hear that they want to "repair the damages done by the Bush administration" by, effectively, appeasing and rewarding the terror masters.

Let it be clearly understood that the errant members of congress' actions are wrong, indecent, inhumane, and contrary to all principles members of both houses of US Congress have sworn to uphold! We do believe that the good hearted and noble people of America do not agree with this type of misrepresentation or controversial leadership!

We invite, once again, those few colleagues of yours to learn the real Iranian situation, and change their erroneous behavior. We beseech them to follow the path of their own distinguished colleagues, Messrs. John Cornyn, Sam Brownback, Norm Coleman, Jon Kyl and Robert Andrews, who well understand our people and their true aspirations. Furthermore, we invite them, once again, to assiduously adopt President Bush's correct and popularly acclaimed vision.

We do believe the Iranians' uncontested bravery and increasing civil disobedience will be able to bring the downfall of the mullahs and their so-called reformists alike. Unified pressure from the U.S. and the rest of the free World will expedite the downfall of the totality of the Islamic republic regime in a less bloody manner and with no need of any military intervention.

It is only by such common and clear policy that the US will assure its respected gained place in millions of Iranian hearts that are now languishing and awaiting a clear and firmer U.S. position. Without doubt, an unified US Congress official promulgation projecting President Bush's visions will quickly convince the absolute majority of appreciative Iranian masses and Iranian-Americans that America true to its principles, indeed, is ready to support their aspirations of freedom and want friendly relations with the people of Iran and not with its very shaky but dangerous oppressors.

It is only then and through the installation of a secular and popularly elected Iranian regime whose actions are accountable and transparent that the Middle East can be finally at peace. This ultimate hope will not be realized, until the Islamic republic regime is displaced with a government that does not promote backward and barbarian ideology and sponsors terrorism.

May God bless you in all your noble endeavors, in pursuit of America's founding fathers' ideals.

Sincerely,

On behalf of SMCCDI,

Aryo B. Pirouznia (for the Committee)
The Boston Globe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Time for Regime Change in Tehran Reply with quote

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Time for Regime Change in Tehran

http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=en&y=2004&m=03&d=11&a=12
March 11, 2004
The Boston Globe
Jeff Jacoby

It has been more than two years since President Bush pronounced Iran a charter member of the "axis of evil." In his 2002 State of the Union address, he told Congress that the theocratic regime in Tehran was aggressively pursuing nuclear weapons and exporting terror "while an unelected few repress the Iranian people's hope for freedom."

It has been 20 months since Bush issued a statement encouraging the thousands of prodemocracy demonstrators who had taken to the streets of Iran's major cities. "The people of Iran want the same freedoms, human rights, and opportunities as people around the world," he said, promising that if Iranians moved to replace their rulers with a government committed to liberty and tolerance, "they will have no better friend than the United States of America."

It has been four months since the president articulated a "forward strategy of freedom in the Middle East." Speaking at the National Endowment for Democracy, he noted that Iranians' "demand for democracy is strong and broad" and warned: "The regime in Teheran must heed the democratic demands of the Iranian people or lose its last claim to legitimacy."

When it comes to the liberation of Iran, President Bush's words have been perfect. When will his administration's deeds follow suit?

The United States should long ago have made regime change in Tehran a clear-cut goal of US foreign policy. At every turn, the mullahs who rule Iran have demonstrated their enmity for everything we are trying to accomplish in the Middle East. They are determined to keep Iraq agitated and unstable and actively work to undercut US influence there. They camouflage their pursuit of a nuclear bomb behind a cloud of diplomatic blue smoke, one day making a show of cooperation with Western investigators, the next day demanding that the investigations end. Iran remains the world's foremost sponsor of terror, sheltering Al Qaeda thugs within its borders and dispatching trained killers to Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, and Saudi Arabia.

At home, meanwhile, the Iranian regime of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei continues to prove that elections are not necessarily evidence of democracy. Last month's rigged vote took a long-running soap opera -- the political struggle between Iran's Islamist hard-liners and its supposed reformers -- to a new low. Virtually all of the 5,600 candidates running for Parliament were reactionary loyalists; the mullahs made sure of that by kicking more than 2,000 critics of the regime off the ballot.

Washington should be seizing every opportunity to identify the Khomeinists who rule Iran as illegitimate despots, and to make the case that their downfall is essential to the repair of the Middle East. Instead, administration officials describe Iran as "a sort-of democracy" and insist that the best way to deal with the mullahs is through engagement and patient diplomacy. When Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage was asked during a congressional hearing whether it was US policy to support regime change in Iran, his answer was blunt: "No, sir."

When is Bush going to demand that the State Department start promoting his foreign policy for a change? After 25 years of Islamofascist rule in Tehran, it is sheer fantasy to believe that anything less than a clean sweep will end Tehran's hostile policies. The mullahs may occasionally alter their outward behavior for tactical reasons, observes the prolific journalist Amir Taheri, who was born and educated in Iran. "But the regime's strategy, which is aimed at driving the US out of the Middle East, destroying Israel, and replacing all Arab regimes with `truly Islamic' ones, remains unchanged."

The Iranian government started the war we are in with an attack on the US Embassy in Tehran in November 1979. In the years since, it has had a direct or indirect role in the killing or maiming of thousands of innocent victims worldwide. Every bomb that unleashes new carnage in Iraq is a reminder that our war on terrorism will end in our defeat unless the turbaned thugs next door are forced from power. So what is the administration waiting for?

Toppling the mullahs would not require a US invasion. The majority of Iran's 67 million people loathe their government. Many are unabashedly pro-American. If the United States explicitly called for regime change in Tehran and backed up that call with diplomatic and financial support for the pro-democracy resistance, Iranians would respond with courage and resolve. Like the festering communist dictatorships that collapsed when the people of Eastern Europe rose against them in 1989, the corrupt Islamists in Iran can be defeated by the men and women they have oppressed for so long.

If we are going to win the war on terror, the liberation of Iran is not an option. It is a prerequisite. The Bush administration should be saying so -- and living up to its words.

Jeff Jacoby's e-mail address is jacoby@globe.com

link to original article
asher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guest, for posting these informative articles!

For those who don't already have it, Amir Taheri's website is at:
http://www.benadorassociates.com/taheri.php
asher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And, once again, US citizens should contact their congressional representatives thru this site:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/
American Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just introduced a friend who is a John Kerry supporter to this site. I hope the Iranians let her know how much you hate Bush because of his inflammatory rhetoric calling your country part of the "axis of evil." Come on now everyone, we need Kerry to make nice and bring peace between Iran and the US don't we? Laughing
PersianBigtimmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Do I smell SARCASM? Wink
phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: ll Reply with quote

Have her signup and introduce herself.. we won't bite.. we'll just convince her otherwise.. it will be fun.. then invite the whole democratic underground crew a few at a time and we'll do our best to show them the light as well!
redemption

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the Media.. Where is President Bush.. Iranian brothers and sisters - rise up .. rise up in the millions and the world shall hear you!!!!
abaucero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redemption, I'm sure that Bush will answer your call, but the revolution has to reach Tehran, only then won't the western press be able to ignore it anymore. If millions pour in Tehran streets and start protesting and show massively that they refuse the regime, then Bush will show you a very strong support, I'm sure of it.
The first steps have to be made in Iran, but then the world will hear your call, and you'll see clearly that you're not alone.
patriot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: I want the right freedom for Iran Reply with quote

Dear friends I would like to present you the community of royalties to join us and leave your message for his majesty Cyrus Reza shah II
We are looking for the voices of Iranian people and share it with his majesty
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shahineazadi
TeachESL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a link to this page to Pres. Bush's re-election headquarters in Virginia. The phone number is 703/647-2700; FAX: 703/647-2993

BushCheney04@GeorgeWBush.com

Send an e-mail; call, fax him and tell that the Iranian people want freedom!!
redemption

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abaucero wrote:
Redemption, I'm sure that Bush will answer your call, but the revolution has to reach Tehran, only then won't the western press be able to ignore it anymore. If millions pour in Tehran streets and start protesting and show massively that they refuse the regime, then Bush will show you a very strong support, I'm sure of it.
The first steps have to be made in Iran, but then the world will hear your call, and you'll see clearly that you're not alone.

I agree with you - if the uprising gets very large then there will be action I hope.
TeachESL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: CNN Reply with quote

I just called the CNN office here in Israel and asked someone why they aren't reporting on what's happening in Iran. And she asked me, "What's happening in Iran???"" So, I told her and gave her this web site URL!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: