[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wife of Late Shah Calls for More Freedom for Iranians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spenta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Wife of Late Shah Calls for More Freedom for Iranians Reply with quote

Thank-you Farah Pahlavi
Wife of Late Shah Calls for More Freedom for Iranians
March 19, 2004
Voice of America
VOA News

Washington, D.C. -- Farah Pahlavi, the wife of the late Shah of Iran, told the Voice of America (VOA) today that Iranians need to gain their freedom now, and once they gain that freedom, the people should decide what type of government Iran should have.

The woman many Iranians still refer to as Queen Farah, who fled from Iran along with her husband during the Islamic revolution in 1979, made the comments on VOA's Persian-language radio and TV program Roundtable with You. She was also interviewed on VOA's daily Persian-language radio and TV program News and Views and on the English-language radio program Main Street.

The former queen of Iran said "the Islamic republic has lost its credibility." When asked why the Shah had not done more to stop the influence of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini when he had a chance, She replied, "He was not willing to retain power by shedding blood." Speaking to VOA's audience in Iran, she said, "I do not remain bitter. You youth have suffered far more than I have. I wish the youth of Iran a bright future." She also said that the Shah was lucky to have died before witnessing the suffering of the Iranian people during the last 25 years, and what has happened to women and to human rights in Iran.

During the Roundtable with You call-in, the Persian Service staff received hundreds of emails and numerous phone calls. There was time to take only 33 emails and phone calls during the broadcast, but the former monarch was clearly touched by the response. "With all the calls and emails that were flowing in," she said, "I felt myself overwhelmed as if I'm in Iran and among the Iranian people."

Her book about her life with the Shah, An Enduring Love: My Life With the Shah: A Memoir, has recently been published.

The Voice of America reaches millions of Iranians with its Persian-language TV programs including Roundtable with You, a 90-minute call-in show; News and Views, a nightly newscast; and Next Chapter, a youth-oriented magazine program. VOA also broadcasts on shortwave radio inside Iran and its programs are also available in audio and video at www.VOANews.com/persian.

The Voice of America, which first went on the air in 1942, is a multimedia international broadcasting service funded by the U.S. government. VOA broadcasts 1,000 hours of news, information, educational, and cultural programming every week to an estimated worldwide radio and TV audience of 87 million people. Programs are produced in Persian and 44 other languages.

For additional information, contact the Office of Public Affairs at (202) 401-7000 or email publicaffairs@voa.gov.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shah caused plenty of bloodshed to keep himself in plower
redemption

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
the shah caused plenty of bloodshed to keep himself in plower

Actually the Shah did not cause plenty of bloodshed - and if you want to compare the actions taken by the Shah with those actions taken by leaders around the world who have defended their position of power and leadership/security for the nation with actions such as arrest and occasional murder, his actions are not even comparable.. Yes, he killed a number of islamofascists - I would've done the same. Please do cite the source of your information if you want us to even consider such statements.. Looks like more anti-shah Propoganda.. that's pretty sad when you have to take shots and criticize a man who has not been with us for many years..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: