[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drifting, Dangerously (EXCELLENT ARTICLE)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Ledeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Drifting, Dangerously (EXCELLENT ARTICLE) Reply with quote

Click Here: To Get Breaking News Alerts (All Iran-Related) In Your Mailbox
http://www.nationalreview.com/ledeen/ledeen200403171337.asp
Drifting, Dangerously
March 17, 2004
National Review Online
Michael Ledeen

We must support freedom.

ROME, ITALY — There are two competing explanations for the Spanish vote on Sunday: Either the Spaniards were intimidated by the terrorists, or they punished Aznar for trying to trick them into thinking it was the Basques, when he had strong evidence that the jihadists were involved. I rather think it was the latter — it would be hard for me to think of Spaniards as easily intimidated — but whichever is correct, the political consequences are the same. The terror masters believe that they have successfully toppled a Western government by the use of force, and that will encourage them to do more of it.

We will no doubt learn a lot more about the specific components of the terror network that operated in Spain, but one important element in the story has been universally ignored in the Western press to date. Judge Balthazar Garzon, who has been a tower of strength in Spain's antiterrorist campaign (against jihadists and ETA as well) publicly announced several weeks ago that the evidence unmistakably pointed to the fact that al Qaeda has reconstituted itself in Iran. The mullahs do not take kindly to this sort of exposure, and if, as is quite likely, they were involved in the network that struck Madrid, this would have been an additional motive, and an additional reason for satisfaction at the results.

As for incoming prime minister Zapatero, the new hero of the European and American Left, his original proclamations — retreat from Iraq and willingness to sign the draft of the European constitution — have been both feckless and foolish. Feckless because he would have been in an excellent position to obtain considerable favors and concessions from Bush if he had said "let's talk, and see if there is an acceptable compromise," while now he is so firmly committed to his position of total appeasement that it is very difficult for him to back off. And foolish, because Aznar had held out against enormous Franco-German pressure to sign a constitution that would give Spain a position weaker than their current standing in the European Union. If Aznar had ever decided to accept the document, he could have exacted a considerable price for it, but Zapatero has sold out for an empty bowl. He will have to beg for his porridge.

Less than one might have expected from a law professor. But perhaps his quasi-official nickname, "Bambi," is psychologically as well as physically accurate.

So the previously sound "new Europe" has been deprived of its strongest pillar, and undoubtedly the other two principal supporters of the war against terror, Italy and Poland, are imminent targets. If the terrorists are as cabalistic as it seems (the eerie fact that March 11 arrived exactly 911 days after 9/11 has been noted, and should be underlined), then one possible target date is 6/11 — six being an inverted nine — which comes a couple of days before the Italian vote for the European parliament. Probably a good day to visit Baghdad.

It is not easy to judge the mood in Washington from this distance, but many of the public statements from our leaders are a bit disconcerting. Like the Europeans, the administration, Congress, and the media are narrowly focused on the consequences for our efforts in Iraq. But Iraq is only one battlefield in a larger war, and we cannot solve Iraq without bringing down the terror masters in Damascus and Tehran, without bringing freedom to Syria, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. The peoples of those countries know it and show that they know it. In the past few days there have been enormous demonstrations against the tyrants in Syria and Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the streets, demanding freedom. (And do not listen to the sly journalists who tell you, accurately so far as it goes, that these demonstrations grew out of unrest in a soccer stadium in Syria, or from frustration at being prevented from celebrating the traditional Iranian New Year, Norooz; that only tells you about the spark, but the enormity of the inflammable material is the important thing. Mere soccer hooligans don't demand the political transformation of the country.)

This administration has been carrying on for some time now about the importance of democratizing the Middle East. It follows ineluctably that we should be supporting these freedom fighters in the streets of our worst, and most totalitarian enemies in the region. But instead, the State Department sends diplomats to calm the situation in Syria, and our diplomats cluck their tongues about the unpleasantness in Iran.

About which there are two things that need to be said. First, we are indeed at war, but this president does not have a war cabinet. This kind of behavior is business as usual for Foggy Bottom; it is not what we need to destroy our enemies. Second, Secretary of State Powell by now owes the Iranian people profound apologies for the many times he has failed to vigorously support them, and proclaim regime change in Tehran to be our heart's desire. This policy is more urgent than ever, given the events in Madrid. It should be our policy even if there were no war against terror, simply because the mission of America is to support freedom whenever we can. We are not there yet, not by a long shot.

And so we drift on, led by a president with uniquely good instincts and rare courage, but who seems not to understand that many of his people are weakening the strength of his message and even, on occasion, acting in a direction counter to what he has long said was our national mission.

The terrorists will now be encouraged to strike whenever and wherever they can. We cannot possibly defend all their possible targets. This war cannot be won by playing defense, which is a chump's game. We have once again been offered a glorious opportunity to take the offensive, by supporting all those brave Syrians and Iranians who are crying out for freedom. Will we betray them again? Only the president can insist on supporting them, because it is clear that the others will not.

If we do not, the wheel will turn once again. The terrorists will strike, we will debate, and it will all become ever more difficult and costly. Meanwhile, innocents die and hopes dwindle, and our enemies march on, convinced that the West does not have the will to resist.

As I wrote when Baghdad fell and most believed that a glorious victory was at hand, we can still lose this thing.

Faster, please.
xSniper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledeen is right on the money with this one.. Armitage and Powell need to just back off and let the War on Terror continue it's course.. The state dept and other cronies/politicians who are paid billions by the regime to either keep quiet or subvert the goals and objectivs of Bush and the forward looking strategizers are traitors to America and dangers to the world.. It's time to free the Iranian people!
neXus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: who Reply with quote

I vote to impeach Powell.. anyone with me?
lemonhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: the Reply with quote

Why are we not going after the real terrorists - like those who run Iran? The state sponsors are the worst sorts, especially when they have so much money to spend on it all..
Liberty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: I tell you what I think will work with Europe! Reply with quote

BOMBS WORK !!! Specially in EUROPE!

Guys what are we doing ... talking, talking and talking some more to prevent Europeans from Supporting Terrorist Ayatollahs?

When apparently TALKS DO NOT WORK WITH EUROPEANS.

WHAT WORKS in EUROPE is BOMBINGS. see how fast they CAVED IN.

We should STOP TALKING to EUROPARL & Start Making BOMBS!

That 's what we should be doing !

BOOOOOOOOOOOO EUROPARL. HERE WE COME, WATCH OUT.

YOU KEEP SUPPORTING AYATOLLAHS AND THIS TIME IT'S GONNA BE ME DROPING BOMBS ON YOUR FRIGGING AYATOLLAH BUTT KISSING BRAIN LESS, TERRORIST LOVING UGLY HEADS.

There! I feel much better now. Twisted Evil
me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: I'm afraid.... Reply with quote

I'm afraid Kerry will be the next president, and he will gladly sign a deal with terrorist ayatollahs who have paid for his campaign.

and freedom in Iran is screwed for ever!

well, my solution to this is:
1. VOTE FOR BUSH
2. VOTE FOR BUSH
3.VOTE FOR BUSH!

4. We have to show this Kerry guy a finger or two, this is the LEAST we can do since he's ready to willingly SCREW our Freedom Movement over BLOODY DIRTY OIL MONEY!

5. Start making bombs... anyone who stands with Ayatollas should pay the price.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! WE'RE NOT GONNA STAND ASIDE AND WATCH EU & KERRY MESS WITH IRANIAN FREEDOM MOVEMENT.

SCREW THEM, HERE WE COME WITH BOMBS...READY?
stefania

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Liberty.. I understand your anger and frustration which is mine as well..

But try to be more moderate... All i think ( and i hope ) is that this Europe is going towards self-destruction..

Once Iran is free, the best way to take "revenge" of its support of the mullahs should be don't make deals with those countries..

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
winky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: apalling Reply with quote

I dislike Europe's soft stance on Iran and its hideos regime as much as you guys, but try not to be so rabid. Nobody will listen to total anger. Calm reason always works best.

Stefania, your hope that Europe will self destruct is callous and mean, considering that Spaniards, French, Italians, Brits, Irish, etc are all people too, and deserve a chance to decide their own destiny, whether that's as individual states, or as a union.

And all this Spain bashing, so soon after it was cruelly attacked by terrorists is heartless. The Spanish public was against the Iraq War. Deal with it. That doesn't mean they are a worthless people and don't deserve our sympathy for their terrible loss.

After 9/11, America recieved a lot of sympathy from Spain, and what have we shown Spain in its hour of grief? Very little, very little.

Try to be a little more tactfu, and have a heart. Spain and its people don't need our criticism now, they need our condolences.

P.S

I harshly criticized the despicable censorship tactics of the Iranian regime at a Mass Media forum at the UN just a few weeks ago, so I'm not one of those "stupid leftists" you guys ***** about so often.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: