[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rape victim marries jailed attacker to avoid Muslim shun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Rape victim marries jailed attacker to avoid Muslim shun Reply with quote

I didn't know where else to post this. What has the world come to?

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=978132004

Rape victim marries jailed attacker to avoid Muslim shun

SHAIKH AZIZUR RAHMAN IN CALCUTTA

THE dusty Berhampur Central jail, 120 miles north of Calcutta, provided the setting for a bizarre wedding last week between a rapist and his victim.

The victim faced a life as an outcast, ostracised and stigmatised by Indian society for being on the receiving end of a violent sexual crime.

But if her assailant married her, the shame would be lifted in the eyes of the local Muslim community.

On the order of the court in Berhampur, Ahammad Shaikh, 30, tied the knot with Sabina Khatoon, 18, inside the local prison where he is serving his sentence.

Shaikh kidnapped Khatoon - the daughter of a daily wage labourer - from her village and raped her in a nearby forest in March this year.

After her father complained of the rape to the police in June, Shaikh was arrested. In the court he admitted having raped the teenager and was sent to prison for the deed.

Shaikh’s lawyers failed to bail him out and he expected to be handed at least a seven-year sentence within a few months.

Then, with permission from the court, an activist carrying out work among rural women, approached Shaikh inside the jail and informed him of the woman’s miseries after being ‘tainted’ by his rape.

The women’s rights activist suggested that Shaikh marry Khatoon. Shaikh said that he needed time to respond to the overture.

The court also said that if Shaikh came forward to marry Khatoon, it could consider his case with sympathy and a possible release.

Shaikh’s lawyers and Khatoon’s parents then petitioned the court that the defendant was willing to marry Khatoon, and they sought his release from the jail for the purpose of the marriage.

The court observed that it could never release Shaikh until he married his victim. However, it ordered that the two could get married inside the prison if they wanted.

As bride, Khatoon turned up in the jail with her relatives. In the presence of Shaikh’s relatives, the jailhouse wedding took place according to the Muslim rites, followed by a registration.

The jail officials and about 60 remand prisoners took part in the marriage celebrations, which included a feast.

"I took advantage of her weakness and assaulted her while she was alone. What I did was wrong," the apparently repentant Shaikh said at the end of the ceremony.

"Now I am happy to get a chance to make amends for the crime I have committed."

Khatoon, who looked very happy after the marriage, said: "For that act [of rape] I hated him. Sometimes I felt like I wanted to tear him to pieces.

"But I have a different feeling for him now. I have forgiven him because he has chosen me as his wife. I have to love him now."

After the marriage Khatoon went to stay with her in-laws, while Shaikh is likely to be released on bail within one or two weeks when his lawyers produce the marriage certificate to satisfy the judge.

In recent weeks, at the order of the courts, at least three such marriages between rapists and their victims have taken place inside jails in eastern India.

In all the cases concerned, judges ordered the release of the rapist prisoners when the marriage certificates were produced in the court.

A public prosecutor in connection with one case said: "Our job is to oppose the bail of a criminal. But in such a case we are happy to support the bail, as the man, in an act of repentance, pledges to take care of the woman as a permanent measure by marrying her."
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 year old 'sold' to her rapist
From AFP
July 02, 2004

A 13-year-old Turkish girl was married off by her family to her rapist who paid them "the price of a truck" to escape a long jail sentence, newspapers in Istanbul reported today.

The story came to light when public officials realised her family had tried to change her age to 16 to make the marriage legal.

The girl, from the village of Damlibogaz, in western Turkey, was 10 years old when a family friend, aged 20, started sleeping with her.

The rapes continued for a year before she fell pregnant and gave birth to a girl.

Her rapist, Ferit Cicek, was sentenced to 18½ years in jail.

His family then promised the girl's family 10 billion Turkish pounds ($9600) for an arranged marriage which would allow the young man to walk free.

Turkish law currently allows sharp reductions in prison sentences for rapists who agree to marry their victims.

In 2002, 546 men took advantage of the procedure and another 163 in the first four months of 2003, according to official figures.

Parliament is in the process of amending the law to close the loophole.

The young girl was married off by her farm-working parents last month in a ceremony at the local prison after they, and two witnesses, testified before a court that she was three years older than officially believed.

The parents now face a prison sentence of three to eight years for lying to public officials.

"They sold me for 10 or 12 billion pounds. With it, my father wanted to buy himself a truck," the young girl told reporters.

Her father also accepted to be interviewed by reporters in exchange for money.

"I've got to think of myself," he told Aksam newspaper.
indian_aryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a gun. Evil or Very Mad
________
Mercedes-Benz W112

Last edited by indian_aryan on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spenta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgusting ... truly repulsive!
reza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres only so much ammo for a gun, muslims are plentiful
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
Pasagarde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azadeh help me.

Koroush Kabir
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah... Hazrat Mahdi will protect you. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: