[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

United We Stand For NEW YORK, UN Sept. 14 Rally
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spenta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What went on at Ahmadinejad's party in Persian from Hoder's blog:

http://i.hoder.com/archives/2005/09/050918_014565.shtml
blank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News from the Foundation for Democracy in Iran

http://www.iran.org/news/24-Irandemos.htm

Please see the the article by Kenneth Timmerman and photos in the above link.

I believe those Iranians & others that think just because MKO has changed its name to NCRI, they have changed their strange islamo/commi ideology, or just because one or two of them have been able to give out information regarding Iran’s nuke, they may have given up on their cultish behavior, and should be taken seriously and be part of the main stream opposition groups. Let’s not be fooled again, and give an Islamic fascist that also embraces communism any credence. Let’s try to expose this group to young Iranians within the country, for what they really are, so they won’t be fooled again.
The group originated from the dead Hezbeh-tudeh with more islamic followers, so they combined the two greatest evil on this earth, islam and communism, and came up with evil2, MKO/NCRI. Their two leaders (Rajavis) are as corrupt and deceitful as the rag-heads, with the addition of the communism. There was a great article about 2 years ago in the WSJ explaining their strange cult like principles. Maryam has been married twice and Massoud I think 3 times, but their comrades in the camp are not allowed to marry or have any sexual attractions toward the opposite sex, because it will divert their concentration from their goal, which is fighting their enemies.
What this group has learned very well from Hezbollah and Hamas, is how to get their followers to give financial aid to their organization and “cause”. A friend of mine used to know a Dr. follower (shows education does not guarantee wisdom and common sense) who use to pay between $500.00 – $1000.00 a month to the new NCRI. What I can say is that, they are very well financed. That is how they were able to “buy crowds” “hire people” to come from all over the world expense paid, to participate in “their rally”. Very similar to the rag-heads’ tactics, that pays people to participate in demonstrations to play up to a naďve and dumb outside media; and to buy votes etc.etc. Why do MKO’s have to resort to fraudulent means to achieve their goal? it is simple they know well about their reputation, and being unpopular, by hiring crowds they think it will give them legitimacy and will make them look like main stream opposition; which is far from it, by this action they are more discredited than ever. I was told unlike other opposition groups, they would not allow their people to mix with others.In addition, Iranians will never forgive a group of people that made a pack with their enemy Sadam, and attacked their own country and their Kurdish compatriot. They are considered nothing but traitors. I consider Rajavis more dangerous than the rag-heads.
Their priority is:
1-Rajavis to come to power-- means causing more corruption than ever.
2-imposing non-Iranian values, islam/communism, by intimidation and terror. Imposing their strange cult on Iranians
3-Well being of Iran and Iranians, not on their list.

To all patriotic Iranians beware of NCRI they are the same terrorist group as MKO not a mainstream opposition group and should never be given a voice in the future of Iran.

And if you look at Maryam's picture in the link, her red scarf tells it all:
the scarf represent her allegiance to islam and the color "red" her allegiance to communism....That's all we need...it is like jumping from frying pan into fire....from rag-heads to red rag-heads...... Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by blank on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Omidvaur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Toodeh Reply with quote

The MKO should think about using The Toodeh Party title again, because MKO is a dirty word in Iran.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Blank,

What a IRI-free Iran may look like:

As I see it...

Iran is by history and tradition, a diverse and multi-cultural, multi-lingual, multi-ethnic, multi-religeous, and multi-political oriented society, repressed by a backward looking, ideological, dysfuntional, and mono-dimentional regime that cannot ever hope to honor the diversity which the melting-pot of Iran represents.

On this I think all would agree...and so I speak as an observer in this from gut instinct, and the recognition of the dynamics at work above.

What then would Iran as a nation become, other than what it already is, but totally denied by an unelected few who wield the power of the gun, and money?

What is the strength of a democratic society, if not its diversity?

How is diversity representitive in a political system of government chosen by the people...and not by the gun?

I say it must involve inclusiveness in all aspects, whether that be repecting an individual's civil and human rights, or that individual's right to take part in the system of government, as well as freely deciding by national direct referendum his personal choice of what type of government and the constitution that defines the rule of law it abides by.

Now you have some 70 million individuals who seek to have a voice in the matter, and a very young and forward thinking population, vested in modernity and change.

What can the past possibly offer them? Will it feed their aspirations?

I say a sucessful Iran nation cannot carry the baggage of the past into the future like a dead weight.

However it is just as valid to say that in doing so, culture and tradition will play a significant part in how the best of the past can be forwarded on to future generations in this process.

You have at present a repressive attempt to maintain a "one size fits all" society, which will ultimately collapse into a miriad of thoughts, political parties, religious afiliations, civic and cultural alignments, and issue specific quorum all involved in producing a government structure and constitution that not only honors the meaning of being Iranian, but its inherent diversity, by representation.

Such a society must therefore be inclusive of the "black sheep" , the minority, and not only tolerant and forgiving of the past, but aware of the problems the past created to avoid same in the future.

This requires of all, a concious will to comit to compromise, understanding, incorperation into civil society, and political arena.

The common elements in a representitive society such as separation of church and state (which would guarrantee no state oppression of freedom of worship), the right to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness (so long as it does not interfere with those same rights of others). The inalienable right to own property, seek education, career, fortune, and the freedom from fear to persue these as one sees fit, and raise one's childeren in peace among neighbors.

The freedom of speech, the press, and political gathering, be it by party or peaceful protest.

The right to justice by a jury of peers, and a transparent institution of justice and law. The right to seek legal redress, legal representation, and appeal is inherent to the meaning of justice and the rule of law.

Transparent institution of authority to "protect and serve" the public at large.

Consolidation of defense for the nation under the government, not militia, or private army. An integrated military, representitive of the people, and transparent in institution, and recruitment.

Gender equality in political and social affairs.

Minority representation in political and civic affairs.

Racial, ethnic, and religious tolerance, mandated by law.

Checks and balances of power between people and state, as well as between the institutions of government and its leadership.

Transparent distribution of natural resources and wealth, tax collection, and government oversight and accountability in all of the above.

No matter what form of representitive government is instituted by the mandate of the people by referendum, all of the above must be included to ensure Iran moves confidently into the 21st century and beyond, in stability and freedom for all.
blank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oppie:
A short answer to your post is:
MKO/NCRI should be as inclusive as KKK are inclusive in the political system of the US. In fact, most of the KKK are considered as outlaws and looked down by everyone in the US, and their organization under surveillance by FBI.........
blank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Toodeh Reply with quote

Omidvaur wrote:
The MKO should think about using The Toodeh Party title again, because MKO is a dirty word in Iran.

That is why they have changed it to NCRI (National Council of Resistance of Iran)...to fool people....

Last edited by blank on Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Blank,

Whether they become part of the solution remains to be seen of course.

But that depends on their ability to shed the past, and get with the program. Their credibility problem is their own doing, and so in order to have any at all, then they must abandon a lot of unhealthy ideology.

What I said in my post above was not so much directed at NCRI (or whatever name they choose to go by), but a general statement of what a positive future would need to include.

And Blank, no offense, but that goes for monarchists, and everyone else involved in this:

"I say a sucessful Iran nation cannot carry the baggage of the past into the future like a dead weight. "
blank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oppenheimer wrote:
Dear Blank,

Whether they become part of the solution remains to be seen of course.

But that depends on their ability to shed the past, and get with the program. Their credibility problem is their own doing, and so in order to have any at all, then they must abandon a lot of unhealthy ideology. "

I say if they haven't changed for the past 40 years; and they prooved otherwise in their rally, by paying off people to come to their side in order to show the world they are legit,,,, I must conclude there is no hope in the future. Oh yes, they will change their ideology 'when pigs fly'.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Blank,

Since you missed my point so sucessfully, let me spell it out for you....

Your negativity and projection of a future without hope is not helpful to achiveing a future that may be free of past animosity.

You instead contribute to the continuation of splits and disharmony among those looking to achieve regime change with your continued rhetoric.

You think perhaps bashing a particular group that stood alongside every other group present at the UN in common purpose may negate the fact that the one notable missing person from that event was Reza Pahlavi

I've asked a few times now and had no answer if he showed, and if not, why not.

So maybe you'll detach yourself from the past for a moment and answer a simple question regarding the present.

Seems your biggest fear is who's in control....and I gaurantee you that question is not relevent at this point because without becoming brothers in arms for a common purpose, regime change will not happen at the hands of the Iranian people....this has been a sad fact of life for two decades now.

Once the IRI is finished raping Iran, booted from power, and held acountable for its crimes against humanity, then you folks can sort out your differences in a civilized manner.

Got it? Because pigs will never fly and regime change will take a VERY long time if you don't.

Remember, I'm not asking this question out of indifference.....

Now, Where was RP when his people needed him?

-------------------

To illustrate just what I've been trying hard to articulate for quite awhile to all my Iranian friends here on this forum and others, let me offer these thoughts from one far more articulate than I.

http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/60/statements/neth050920eng.pdf
blank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oppenheimer"]Well Blank,

Since you missed my point so sucessfully, let me spell it out for you....

Your negativity and projection of a future without hope is not helpful to achiveing a future that may be free of past animosity.

Oppie; I think you are the one that is missing the point. It has nothing to do with negativity or animosity, and everything to do with the future of Iran. I, and most of Iranians support many opposition groups against this regime, the only one everyone objects to is the NCRI=MKO. I have given you the exmple of KKK to try to make you understand, but it seems like you are totally blinded by your "openmindedness". There is no American from any political affiliation that would want to be associated or have KKK as part of their political movement because of their past, and their ideology. And if you can't understand this there is nothing else that I can tell that would make you understand. Eeven RP, who backs all opposition groups, said this is the only group no Iranian, including himself, will support.

You instead contribute to the continuation of splits and disharmony among those looking to achieve regime change with your continued rhetoric.
Again you are going on clueless about how majority of opposition groups think about the MKO's.

you think perhaps bashing a particular group that stood alongside every other group present at the UN in common purpose may negate the fact that the one notable missing person from that event was Reza Pahlavi I've asked a few times now and had no answer if he showed, and if not, why not.

You may call it bashing, but I will do everything in my power to expose this fraudulent group, THAT HAD TO PAY TO GET PEOPLE TO COME AND JOIN THEIR GROUP. Don't you see, no one except you on the forum is defending the MKO's?? and what does it say about you?? If you are asking me whether RP was there or not I don't think he was there. You might want to write to him and find out why. But I will give my take on it, I believe 1- he does not want to come to a rally with different opposition groups, and having people think, he is only there, to support the monarchists & cause diversion among others, because he supports all oppositons (except for MKO). 2- he is, and has been a target, and if the police, FBI etc. tell him he should not go because of certain security risks, he will not go. At least he is sensible. We need him alive at any cost, even if that means he will be absent from certain rallies.

So maybe you'll detach yourself from the past for a moment and answer a simple question regarding the present.

Maybe you are the only one on this forum that can detach yourself from MKOs' crimes and deceitful acts that even shows in the rallies.

Seems your biggest fear is who's in control....and I gaurantee you that question is not relevent at this point because without becoming brothers in arms for a common purpose, regime change will not happen at the hands of the Iranian people....this has been a sad fact of life for two decades now.

My only concern and fear is that MKO's (not any other opposition group) will fool people like you and with fraud and deceit will take control of Iran. That means we go from rag-heads to the red rag-heads.

Once the IRI is finished raping Iran, booted from power, and held acountable for its crimes against humanity, then you folks can sort out your differences in a civilized manner.

Again I will tell you one more time, I don't care how many other
opposition groups will come together and participate in our political system, but one thing we cannot afford is to allow a true terrorist group like MKO have any power or saying in the future of Iran. By the way, you never responded to me whether you would defend KKK to be part of your political future. I hope you respond this time..

Got it? Because pigs will never fly and regime change will take a VERY long time if you don't.

Remember, I'm not asking this question out of indifference.....

Now, Where was RP when his people needed him?

I have responded earlier about RP.
Here are some links about MKO's you might want to look at them.... and remember they are taking donations and accepting memberships if you are such a staunch defender of them

http://hrw.org/backgrounder/mena/iran0505/

http://www.iran-interlink.org/files/info/Aug05/Parsai%20090805.htm
Rasker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Oppie, from what I have learned from others in the movement, MKO does not cooperate with other elements of the opposition movement. They continually claim to be the 'main' opposition, and seem to anticipate being the beneficiaries of any external 'regime change' operation.

They have succeeded in gaining the support of Ray Tanter and other security policy professionals, at least to the extent of their efforts to get off the US terror list. But these supportive statements show no awareness of the actual history and character of the MKO organization, the cult characteristics etc. This has caused alarm among mainstream American conservative sites supportive of the Iran cause, which have published more info about MKO.

I have no doubt about the devotion and daring of MKO's operatives inside Iran, who broke the regime's nuke secrecy and have killed more regime officials than all other groups combined. But I would recommend that the opposition use more caution while working with MKO than Churchill and Roosevelt used while cooperating with Stalin to destroy Hitler. But there's no doubt that if a civil war if required to depose the regime, MKO will have an important part to play. For many reasons, I hope such a war is not required.
blank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasker wrote:
But I would recommend that the opposition use more caution while working with MKO than Churchill and Roosevelt used while cooperating with Stalin to destroy Hitler. But there's no doubt that if a civil war if required to depose the regime, MKO will have an important part to play. For many reasons, I hope such a war is not required.

I assure you that no opposition group is willing to work with MKO unless they denounce their core belief: islam+communism...............
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Blank,

1. I have stated many times....that is...if you've bothered to read my posts instead of just cherry-pick from them....just what my stance is regarding both the KKK and the MKO-MEK-NCRI (whatever they chose to go by)...

So saying I somehow support them is just a bit irrational on your part...

not to mention a bit insulting.... factually incorrect, and you know it.

So you are now attacking me personally because I wanted to know why RP didn't show...well I have legitimate reason to ask...

I find it just a bit illogical as well to say that RP may have been at some possible security risk at the UN rally...with some 170 heads of state present, with diplomatic security to the max positioned everywhere...and If I'm not mistaken RP has only recently again called for unity between opposition groups when he last spoke in a rally in LA around the elections.
Funny that....since there was far less security in that rally ...not to mention the fact that LA has a large number of IRI supporters, if not the largest number anywhere in the country.

So he's got no wish to associate or speek in a rally that has other groups present? Either you are wrong in your assesment, or he's got a credibility issue himself that he needs to deal with.

So I just don't think your "take on it" holds water as to why he didn't show up in New York, just to be fair to the guy.

In this thread you can see for yourself if you bothered to read some of the SMCCDI statements regarding the nature of the unity among groups on that day...that it really is only you on this board that doesn't recognise the need for unity.

I read the article you posted, and even in that there were statement to that effect...

My "openmindedness" as you call it is simply a concious realization that the facors involved in (as I posted) and the parameters required for a future free Iran, must obviously curtail any one group from having total control, or forcing its ideology on the process.

This is one of the points you didn't get.

One thing you may consider as well is that in all the time I've been posting, whether here or on SMCCDI, I've not only been very fair minded toward others opinions, and listened, learned, and appreciated debate, but I've also been the worst nightmare of those who would put their ideology before, and at the expense of others.

Recent case in point is a fellow who posted here in the general discussion his answer to an American's letter to his brother (titled as such)
I suggest you review it.

In closing, I said before the MKO would have to deal with it's credibility issues, not just with Iranians, but with the US State Dept. Don't forget I am an American, or why they have no support from me.

So a lot of work has to be done, not just by them, but by all opposition groups, and their leaders to get over the dysfunctionality of personality conflicts, and vision, before any semblance of unity is obtained.

Sept. 14th was a start , but truly only baby steps in the right direction.

One last thing....If someone had payed my way...I would have been there too...since I couldn't afford a ticket myself....but that wouldn't have "bought" my support, since it's been long standing for Democracy....and the sign I would have been holding up would have simply read:

NO PLANET OF THE APES!!!
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rasker,

Thanks for that assesment, and I share it.

Begining of the year SMCCDI wrote a letter to president Bush, the Congress in regards to a number of issues...but as far as support went...urged that a roundtable "forum of the future" among opposition groups be coordinated with free nations reps.

And as for any material support that is be, go to "properly vetted" non-violent opposition groups.

This was not directed at MKO, but was directed at the US, and the laws under which such support may be given...and in recognition of this...stating this to give the US gov. a "head up" that SMCCDI understood the parameters of support, and was concurrent with it, while posing the idea of a constructive dialoge among all such groups...monarchist, republican , democratic, left, right....I could post the exact paragraphs if need be....

It's hard to change a government, or have a bloodless revolution....in fact it is historicaly rare indeed. SMCCDI was under no illusions as to the price that would be payed by those going on national strike, and protest....but short of a civil war...what other option is out there?

Military intervention is not a popular idea...nor is it in America's interest to arm an insurgency while Iran arms terrorists....I think you could understand the kind of political fallout that would result....Only if "regime change" was policy and war declared would that be considered, just as we worked with the "Northern Alliance" in Afghanistan.

But who knows, the IRI declared war by proxy on the US way back in 1983 , and continues to this day....

If indeed the individuals responsible for the terrorist acts that put the MKO on the list of terrorist org's were simply a "splinter group" then the MKO should make every effort to come clean on the record, abandon any and all violence, and seek to reconcile its past with mainstream Iranians, in a transparent way.

In a comparitive sense, the IRA and its various splinter groups made it nearly impossible to resolve the "troubles" in Ireland...not that it is a perfect example...but MKO has work to do to get right with its past.

This was part of what I was talking about generally that a future Iran could not carry the baggage of the past into the future like a dead weight.

Does the MKO pose a credibility problem for other opposition groups?
Perhaps...as I've had a few questions put to me regarding my support of SMCCDI..."had I heard of NCRI?" This was a few months ago.

Which at the time, I hadn't (not associating it with MEK/MKO), nor had I ever visited their site. Have since though, to understand why the question was asked, and to do a bit of analysis.

It's a matter of educating those that would support the Iranian opposition that there is not simply one voice, which I did to that government agency. Told them to take a look at SMCCDI's charter, which I felt comfortable with and reason to associate with, as it was not incompatible with US support for Democracy.
I'm still here, so I guess that tells you something....(chuckle).

Tell you this honestly, it ain't easy bro....supporting your aspirations with all the misconceptions and political crap involved....both on my government's end, as well as the infighting I see going on among you....though I have to say the Monacrchist/democrat divide has settled down to a more "let's get there from here and then figure it out" approach, which is essentially healthy.

therein I think is MKO's task, if it is to become part of the solution. Or if it is intent on remaining a stumbling block in a number of aspects....by choice, then that is inherently self defeating.

Everyone must stand on principal, but be prepared as well to compromise on preferences. And there's a huge difference between the two. It may be that that realization has dawned on them, as the NCRI website by statements, has either stolen SMCCDI's ideas put forth in those letters, or simply mirrored them. (which may have been part of the reason the question was put to me. )

Whether they've changed in pricipal core intent and ideology remains a valid question, but perhaps they should be given the opportunity to prove that is the case, rather than as put...."they'll change when pigs fly".

Seems to me that there's evidence to suggest MKO knows they cannot retain the same mentality as in the past, and be a credible org. Simply because as such, they are either "hiding" or have sought to change their identity, as the site shows evidence of.

The question is have they truly purged themselves....and that remains to be seen.

Some say no, some say they have.....I make no final judgement about that at this time, for the record.

Last edited by Oppenheimer on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few thoughts to consider, and I tend to agree with them, which is why those elements of a successful future Iran I posted are essential.
How you achieve freedom is one thing....keeping it is a whole different animal....

Viewpoint: The cult of 'People Power'
As part of the BBC's Who Runs Your World? series, Mark Almond, Lecturer in Modern History at Oriel College, Oxford University, assesses the myth and reality of "People Power".

People power seemed to take wing in 1989, with the Berlin Wall's fall
We live in an age of revolution. To paraphrase Karl Marx, a spectre is haunting the world: People Power.

The image of huge crowds, peacefully protesting against corrupt and undemocratic regimes, has become an icon of the modern age. Starting in the Philippines in 1986 where the term "People Power" was coined, and taking wing in 1989 when a sea of people seemed to swamp the old guard communists in East Berlin or Prague, the myth of popular revolution took flight.

A decade after the fall of Soviet-style Communism, another wave of People Power swept away many of the post-Communists who had established themselves in office after the red flag came down.

From Serbia in 2000 to Ukraine last Christmas, the same scenario was played out: disputed elections were followed by crowds on the streets and the fall of the bad guy.

People Power seems to be getting a habit. But is it really so simple?

Iconic moment

Mass psychologists know how intoxicating participation in a crowd can be. Observers as well as participants get caught up in the party mood. But intoxication is never a good guide to understanding.

The carnival atmosphere of People Power revolutions in recent years - the round the clock rock concerts in Kiev last winter, for instance - obscure the politicking going on away from the party. Whether in Prague in 1989 or Serbia in 2000, deals cut in smoke-filled rooms had as much to with the bloodless success of People Power as the crowds on in the streets.

The problem is that The People cannot rule. Only some people can do that

In most societies at most times in history, people have had good grounds for discontent. Mass revolutions have certainly been commonplace since Parisians stormed the Bastille in 1789. In reality, when the crowd stormed the prison, lynched the governor and his guards, they found only seven prisoners to release - none of them political.

Anti-climatic though the liberation of the Bastille was, it became an iconic moment in history. For 200 years, the image of the masses storming government buildings and toppling the old regime haunted public imagination.

Films like Eisenstein's October, 1917, were taken for docu-dramas even though more extras were killed in the frenzied re-make of the storming of the Winter Palace than in the actual tame handover of power to Lenin's Communists. The filmmaker's image of a revolutionary tidal wave stuck in minds around the world.

The clenched fist became a symbol of popular opposition to Milosevic
Peaceful images of People Power revolutions since 1989 have usurped the place of cataclysmic crowds from France or Russia in popular imagination. But does People Power really deliver its promise of liberation from corrupt politicians?

The problem is that The People cannot rule. Only some people can do that. People Power can eject one set of rulers and propel other people into high office. But People Power alone cannot guarantee constitutional or honest government.

Look at the record of recurrent popular protest and corruption allegations in the Philippines since 1986. Think about how the Serbian leader, Zoran Djindjic, was gunned down three years later by the very para-military policeman who had pulled the rug from under Slobodan Milosevic by joining the people. Or consider the mud-fight going on in Ukraine among last year's heroes of the Orange Revolution.

Hangover

The problem is that corrupt regimes tells us something about the society which they rule.

Ferdinand and Isabella Marcos may have plundered the Philippines, but their regime also reflected deep-seated social problems. As Zaire's Mobutu once remarked, "It takes two to be corrupt."

Today's cult of People Power as the solution to corrupt and incompetent government risks promoting an endless cycle of upheaval

Popular indignation zeroes in on a bribe-taking head of state but without bribe-giving businessmen, domestic and foreign, massive corruption cannot happen. At the bottom of the social pile, ordinary people resent corrupt cops but how many ordinary people haven't paid a bribe to a traffic cop to get off a charge - if they could afford it?

Filipinos chased the Marcoses out of their country bloodlessly, but they couldn't get the Marcos inside themselves out so easily. Nor have Ukrainians found that their new rulers were more honest than the old ones.

Ukraine's cabinet was fired less than a year after the revolution
Once the bad guy at the top falls from power, it is naďve to think that the rest of the bureaucratic pyramid will mend its ways overnight. People, all of The People, were socialised under the old regime and cannot escape from the reality that its grimy habits cling to them after its leaders and symbols have been toppled.

The carnival of a People Power revolution, like any great party, leaves its participants with a hangover.

Today's cult of People Power as the solution to corrupt and incompetent government risks promoting an endless cycle of upheaval. The only solution to the cold dawn of cynical reality which follows the long night of revolutionary ecstasy is another fix of revolution.

A kind of parody of Trotsky's "permanent revolution" is preached as the solution to society's ills. Yet successful societies are boring ones. The dull work of constitutional government with its checks and balances does more for the people than a brief moment of glory on the streets.

Revolutions may sometimes be necessary but their outcomes are always messy. The danger today is that when ordinary people see the intrigue and backroom deals which accompany People Power behind the scenes, they plunge from hope to despair. Far from energising true democracy, People Power's "day after" of cynical politics as usual causes the people who went on the streets in millions to sink into apathy for years to come.

People Power is too often an inverted fairy story - the triumph of innocence coming at the start and the Ugly Sisters of intrigue and ambition coming on stage in triumph for the final curtain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: