[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Have a Dream...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmirN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: I Have a Dream... Reply with quote

In light of the recent bus driver strike in Iran, Dr Martin Luther King Jr. comes to my mind.

Here are a few of his quotes:

“Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”

“We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”

“How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust?... Any law that uplifts the human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust.”

“One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. “

“Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself, and that is what has happened to the American Negro. Something within has reminded him of his birthright of freedom, and something without has reminded him that it can be gained. “

“There is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds...”

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…"

I firmly believe in Dr. King’s vision. The vision that justice and equality can be achieved through non violent protest and civil disobedience.

I salute the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, the Iranian bus workers who risk themselves and their families with their disobedience, and the people of Iran.

We, the children of Iran, also HAVE A DREAM.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmirN wrote:
In light of the recent bus driver strike in Iran, Dr Martin Luther King Jr. comes to my mind.

Here are a few of his quotes:

“Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”

“We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”

“How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust?... Any law that uplifts the human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust.”

“One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. “

“Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself, and that is what has happened to the American Negro. Something within has reminded him of his birthright of freedom, and something without has reminded him that it can be gained. “

“There is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds...”

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…"

I firmly believe in Dr. King’s vision. The vision that justice and equality can be achieved through non violent protest and civil disobedience.

I salute the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, the Iranian bus workers who risk themselves and their families with their disobedience, and the people of Iran.

We, the children of Iran, also HAVE A DREAM.

Dear Amir,

Quote:

This statement is true regarding countries that they have Free Society, respect Human Rights, and well established democracy with good legal system.

This strategy might not work as expected in Iran which is hostage of repressive Islamist regime and in addition the regime does not respect basic Human Rights and Free Society ....

Regards,
Cyrus
blank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cyrus, in countries that don't have democracy, the only thing that may bring them freedom is "outside pressure"...... or somehow the military would go against the regime. I don't think I could ever see democracy in Commi China, at least not in my life time.
AmirN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the reasons why MLK came to mind recently was because:

1. The threat of bus worker civil disobedience reminded me of the US civil rights movement.
2. Just a couple of weeks ago was MLK day, commemorating his birthday.
3. The recent passing of Mrs. Coretta Scott King, Dr King’s widow. My condolences to the King family, and also my homage to Dr MLK Jr.

Dear Cyrus and blank,

Your points are very well taken. I understand your message well.

The situation in Iran is very different from that of the US four decades ago. But one would argue that the US society prior to the civil rights movement was not a completely free society either. Yes, it was free “on paper,” but not in practice.

Is it really a free society when a black person cannot attend the same school as a white? Is it free when a black person cannot sit in the same potential seat on a bus as a white? Is it free when a black person would easily get beaten and murdered by an angry mob simply for the color of his skin, and law enforcement would do nothing but laugh?

Nothing was given to the black man in the US. It was all slowly taken through blood, sweat, hard work, and perseverance.

But you are correct. The obstacles faced by the then black people were very different and milder than that faced by our countrymen. The brutality of the American whites at that time cannot be compared to the brutality of the current IRI. Furthermore, the legal system that was in place at that time was relatively just, but needed to be revisited and interpreted justly. The legal system that is currently in place in Iran is nonexistent. The mockery of Sharia cannot be seen as any type of civilized legal system.

But, I didn’t mean to state that change can be brought about with ONLY civil disobedience and non-violent protest. I know that these need to be augmented by other factors. The most important of which is “outside pressure,” as blank said. A number of factors must come together for this change to occur. But the foundation could be civil disobedience and non-violent protest.

Of course, that’s not the only possible road to change. Other possibilities could be a violent revolution by civilians, a revolution led by the military, or outside military intervention. All of these could potentially lead to a regime change. Perhaps a violent revolution may be the quickest, and probably the most cathartic and gratifying to many, especially those who rightfully demand justice for the crimes committed against them. But we have to ask ourselves, is that really the best course? Some may say yes, others may say no.

During the civil rights movement in the US, there were two main schools of thought. One was in accordance with the Black Panther Movement, or other similar derivatives. It called for black empowerment through show of force. It called for all blacks to arm themselves and respond to violence with violence. They saw force as the only option.

The other was the peaceful movement of nonviolent protest and civil disobedience, led by MLK. It did seem to most at that time that without the muscle to back up the words, nonviolent disobedience lacked the teeth to accomplish anything. But history proved the critics wrong.

I’ll give you another quote by the beloved Dr Martin Luther King Jr:

“The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.... The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

The Black Panthers and MLK both had the same goals: to free the black citizens of the US from tyranny and oppression. It was only their methods that distinguished them.

We too, all have the same goals: to free our country and countrymen from this brutal regime. It is only the methods by which many might disagree.

At some point, we all have to decide which path to follow and promote: the Black Panthers, or MLK? To those that follow the Black Panther path, I wish good luck and success, for they are also fighting a noble cause. I, however, choose to promote the path of MLK. To each their own path.

May Iran be freed again, no matter which path leads to that freedom.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Amir,

The best definition for Free Society:

Quote:
Condoleezza Rice's Opening Statement

January 18, 2005
The Associated Press
Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2997586

To be sure, in our world there remain outposts of tyranny and America stands with oppressed people on every continent ... in Cuba, and Burma, and North Korea, and Iran, and Belarus, and Zimbabwe. The world should apply what Natan Sharansky calls the ``town square test'': if a person cannot walk into the middle of the town square and express his or her views without fear of arrest, imprisonment, or physical harm, then that person is living in a fear society, not a free society. We cannot rest until every person living in a ``fear society'' has finally won their freedom.

If we accept the above definition and assume that in 60s the African Americans were not living in Free Society and well educated white Americans (90%) were living in the Free Society then this fact helped the African Americans to gain their rights without much bloodshed.

Due to the fact that today in Iran 99% of Iranians are living under the repressive Islamist fear society and Islamists are in control of oil money ... therefore external pressure from outside is the key for freeing Iran.

Regards,
Cyrus
anusiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But see - is it actually possible to overthrow the Mullahs peacefully? I dont mean to sound pessimistic or anything but if they're heartless enough to do what they do, they wont mind blowing up houses of people on strike etc would they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: