[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyrus the Great in the Qur'an

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Philosophy and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anusiya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Cyrus the Great in the Qur'an Reply with quote

Ok, like I said, I will be producing a series of threads about my findings of Islam that I am scrutinising.

I had originally intended to do women first, but this caught my attention and I thought you all would be interested in it.

Cyrus the Great is mentioned in the Quran

Quote:
And they ask thee concerning Dhu'l Qarnain. Say: "I will recite to you something of his account (18:84)

Dhul Qarnain means "Man of 2 nations." This fits Cyrus - who was the King of both the Persians and the Medians. The Arabic Dhul Qarnayn also means "Man of 2 horns." According to my annotated Quran, this represents the ram in Daniel's dream:
Quote:
I saw the ram pushing westwards and northwards and southward, so that no beast might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand, but he did according to his will and become great (Dan. 8:4, 20, 21)

The Quran also mentions 3 journeys of Dhul Qarnayn:
Quote:
Until he reached the setting place of the sun and found it setting as if in a pool of murky water and near it he found a people. We said: "O Dhul Qarnayn, you may punish them or treat them with kindness (18:87)

This refers to the most western parts of the Persian Empire - Turkey, and the Black sea. This verse refers to the expedition Cyrus took against his western enemies (possibly the Lydians or Phrygians?). This is in accordance with Encyclopaedia Britannica and Historian's History of the world, under "Cyrus."

Quote:
Until when he had reached the rising place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom we had made no shelter against it (18:91)

This refers to his expedition to the east - Afghanistan and Baluchistan which were treeless barren tracts on which the sun beat down fiercely. It may also apply to the plains which extended for hundreds of miles to the east of Sistan and Herat and to the north of Duzbab up to Meshed.

Quote:
Until when he reached the open place between the 2 mountains, he found beneath them a people who could scarecely understand a word of what he was saying (18:94)

This refers to his expedition to the north - the area between the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus. The two mountains signify 2 barriers. The Pass of Derbent on which the wall was built was bounded on one side by the Caspian Sea and on the other by the Caucasus mountains.

Also, the people there were Scythians. They had a different language. Note: the Quran says scarecely understand. These Scythian tribes, because of contact with the Persians, could understand a small amount of what was being said, but with great difficulty.

Now some people understand this wall (built in 18:95) to have been built by Alexander the Great. Indeed, some people even claim that Dhul Qarnayn is Alexander the Great. However, Alexander's campaign was like a whirlwind and he didnt have time to commission the building of a 50 mile wall. Also, there are 2 other pieces of evidence to show that Cyrus built this:
1. In order to break the power of the Scythians, Daryush passed through Greece and attacked them from Europe. Daryush would have attacked through Armenia, however, this wall would have blocked him. Also, passing through Europe would have exposed Persia in the north - and it is known that Persia wasnt conquered by the Scythians during Daryush's time.
2. Before Cyrus, the Scythians made numerous raids on the Persians, but after Cyrus, these raids pretty much stopped completely.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/king_cyrus.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_the_Great_in_the_Qur%27an[/quote]
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is interesting that Cyrus is mentioned in the quran. But "dul Qarnain" is a far cry from
Quote:
"This is what the Lord says of Koresh, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue the nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut." And "Koresh is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please; he will say of Jerusalem, 'Let it be rebuilt,' and of the temple, 'Let its foundations be laid.' -Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 44:28-45:1

Keep in mind that this was prophesied 150 years BEFORE the birth of Cyrus. Whereas the scripture you quote was written 1100 years after the death of Cyrus.
I would say that the scripture you quote matches alexander better than cyrus. Cyrus mainly expanded the empire westward (Babylon, egypt, chaldea, assyria) not towards afghanistan and baluchistan. I don't know, man. You reaching pretty far on this one.
anusiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was copying note 1623 from my annotated Quran.

None of the above work is mine Razz

Besides, this is free IRAN, not free MACEDON Razz Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Philosophy and Religion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: