[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mehdi Zand condemns Khatami's UK visit and Honorary Degree
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Mehdi Zand condemns Khatami's UK visit and Honorary Degree Reply with quote

Mehdi Zand, an Iranian expatriate currently residing in the UK and author of the best selling book The Exordium, has spoken out against Khatami's visit to the UK.

http://www.mehdizand.org/sections/breaking_news/khatami_uk_visit/

Quote:
As it has been widely reported in the press, the University of St Andrews presented Mohammad Khatami with an honorary degree in law earlier today (31 October 2006).

Khatami’s visit to St Andrews was met by crowds of angry protestors who opposed his trip to the UK and the awarding of this honorary degree. Hundreds of demonstrators at St Andrews handed out leaflets which asked why someone like Khatami was receiving such an honour when there are surely more deserving Iranians living in Britain who have contributed positively toward British society. Many members of the press saw this leaflet, which mentioned the name of Mehdi Zand, and wanted to know more about the philosophy of his book, the Exordium. Copies of the Exordium were handed out to journalists from news agencies such as the BBC, The Times and The Independent.

In response to today’s events, Mehdi Zand made the following statement:

“I condemn the fact that the University of St Andrews has presented such a degree to Khatami. This type of honour should be awarded to someone that has produced a significant body of work in the relevant field, or someone who can clearly demonstrate that they hold mastery over the subject in question.

“But what documentation or expertise does Mr. Khatami have in the field of law? This is a man who presided over the Islamic Republic, one of the most brutal regimes in the world, from 1997 - 2004. During this time, thousands of Iranians were executed and tortured in the most grotesque fashion, with many women being stoned to death; hundreds of political activists were arrested without notice or reason; the Islamic Republic was ranked as the worst country in the world in terms of the freedom of its press; and the Iranian regime remained the largest State sponsor of global terrorism.

“Mr. Khatami’s so-called ‘Dialogue of Civilizations’ is therefore a complete joke, and I am surprised that the British educational system has acted in such an unthoughtful manner. This award will raise many questions in the future, and I believe that Khatami should not have been allowed to enter a free nation such as the UK to receive this award.”

Should members of the press or any concerned citizens wish to contact Mehdi Zand regarding his views on this matter, please send an email to mehdizand@mehdizand.org with the subject heading of “Comments on Khatami’s UK Visit” and he will respond to you in due course. Thank you.

Last edited by Eternal1 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Eternal1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that they should ignominiously give this award to Khatami on Halloween.
Spenta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and most importantly, Khatami served on the council charged with the speedy execution of tens of thousands of political prisoners in 1988. This was the council that came up with the rules for forced rape of virgin female prisoners prior to execution, mass hanging by cranes, and mass burial by bulldozer.

Khatami particpated in one of the worst episodes of crimes against humanity committed by the Islamic Republic, namely the massacre of political prisoners in 1988!

This man should be tried in the world court in the Hague! Not receive an honorary doctorate!

This is a disgrace !
blank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spenta wrote:
and most importantly, Khatami served on the council charged with the speedy execution of tens of thousands of political prisoners in 1988. This was the council that came up with the rules for forced rape of virgin female prisoners prior to execution, mass hanging by cranes, and mass burial by bulldozer.

Khatami particpated in one of the worst episodes of crimes against humanity committed by the Islamic Republic, namely the massacre of political prisoners in 1988!

This man should be tried in the world court in the Hague! Not receive an honorary doctorate!

This is a disgrace !

Actually this rule applied to both male & female virgins. From what I was told, my 13 yr old cousin (male) was raped before his execution.
blank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dupe posting.

Last edited by blank on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
blank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: "sosiran97" <> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
CC: sue.wilkinson@met.police.uk
To: Undisclosed-Recipient@,
Subject: Metropolitan Police Hypocracy and shameful response to Victims' Attorny, Hamid Sabi
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 21:53:18 -0800
PLEASE PASS IT ON FAR AND WIDE

Dear friends,

Please read the attached which is a shameful response from London Police to Mr. Hamid Sabi who is representing the victims of torture committed by Khatami's government and see the British conspiracy in the daylight to protect Khatami.

When Augusto Pinochet was in London several years ago and Blair's government ordered to have him arrested and questioned for the torture issues and Ayatollah Straw put him under house arrest, the London Police did not claim that Pinochet had not personally done the torture nor did the London Police use the excuse and reluctance that Pinochet had ordered torture directly. Then what kind of a hypocrisy and double standard is the attached response?! Why is it Pinochet was suspect to be arrested based on the same law, but Khatami is not?! Is this how London Police bends the law to fit their own interest?
In civilized world, if one is harmed by any entity or as a result of negligence by any employee of a company, the officers of the company including the President of that entity are liable. Similarly, when a government headed by Khatami tortured, caused pain and suffering to innocent citizens, not only the torturers are responsible, so are the ruling heads including but not limited to the President of that government. Only in despotic, backward countries such as Iran or their supporting Imperialist countries such as UK will such civilized laws be ignored.

Please read below from wikipedia and learn how UK Police arrested Pinochet in 1998, which was apparently and conveniently ignored for Khatami by London Police:

In 1998 Pinochet, who still had much influence in Chile, travelled to the United Kingdom for medical treatment. While there, he was arrested under an international arrest warrant issued by judge Baltasar Garz��a> of Spain, and was placed under house arrest: initially in the clinic where he had just undergone back surgery, and later in a rented house. The charges included 94 counts of torture of Spanish citizens, and one count of conspiracy to commit torture. The government of Chile opposed his arrest, extradition to Spain, and trial.

There was a hard-fought 16-month legal battle in the House of Lords, the highest court of England. Pinochet claimed immunity from prosecution as a former head of state. This was rejected, but the Lords decided that only crimes alleged to have been committed after the incorporation of the International Convention against Torture into English law in 1988 could be considered. This invalidated most, but not all, of the charges against him; but the outcome was that extradition could proceed.

As you can see any crimes committed by Khatami's government after 1988 can and must be considered as we all know, Mullah Khatami ruled from 1997-2005 (see here).

What a shameful and bloody cover-up by the Metropolitan Police indeed!

Only if and when Iran topples the mullahs, I hope for decades she punishes UK by cutting all diplomatic and economical ties with that Imperialist which has made millions of Iranians' lives miserable.

Siavash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://commentisfre e.guardian. co.uk/peter_ tatchell/ 2006/10/arrest_ khatami_dont_ honour_him. html
Dishonourable honour
The former president of Iran should be put on trial, not feted by St Andrew's University.

Peter Tatchell
October 31, 2006 03:49 PM

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/peter_tatchell/2006/10/arrest_khatami_dont_honour_him.html

The former President of the Islamist dictatorship of Iran, Mohammad Khatami, will today be awarded an honorary doctorate of law by St Andrews University in Scotland. Critics say it is the moral equivalent of honouring Chilean ex-dictator Augusto Pinochet.
During his eight-year tenure as President of Iran, from 1997 to 2004, thousands of Iranians were detained without trial and subjected to savage tortures by Iran's secret police. Over 200 people were executed.

Well known victims of state-sanctioned murder during Khatami's rule include the Iranian-Canadian photographer, Zahra Kazemi, who was tortured and battered to death by Iranian security agents in 2003, and four copper mine workers who were shot dead in Shahr Babak, Kerman province, in 2004, when they staged a peaceful protest against redundancies. Khatami never spoke out against these abuses, let alone acted to halt them.

Yesterday, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Iain Blair, and the Attorney-General, Lord Goldsmith, turned down requests for Khatami's arrest. The police were presented with affidavits by two Iranian refugees who say they were falsely imprisoned and brutally tortured while Khatami was in office. Safa Einollahi, 29, and Ali Ebrahimi, 34, claim that, as President, Khatami was ultimately responsible for their torture. He failed to use his office of state to protect them and thousands of other torture victims.

Einollahi and Ebrahimi had applied to the Met Police to have Khatami arrested under Section 134 of the Criminal Justice Act 1998. This requires the arrest of any individual, regardless of nationality, where there is evidence that they committed, condoned or colluded with acts of torture. The legislation has a universal jurisdiction, and therefore covers torture committed by Iranians against Iranians in Iran.

Section 134, which incorporates the UN Convention Against Torture 1984 into UK law, also holds high state officials responsible if they fail to stop torture. There is no evidence that Khatami made any attempt to halt the use of torture by Iran's security agents, which makes him culpable under Section 134.

The Sunday Times reports that Einollahi was arrested in July 2003, soon after attending a student rally in Tehran.

"I was left blindfolded for eight hours in a room so tiny that I couldn't move," he said. "Then I was interrogated by two agents who wanted the names of my activist friends. They beat me until I passed out. I was left bleeding and injured for a day in a cell with no light."

A report by his doctor documents how his torturers thrust batons and bottles into his rectum. It states that he is awaiting surgery for a loss of bowel control, and cites other lasting physical and psychological damage.

Ebrahimi says he was arrested in 1999 for participating in a sit-in protest at Shiraz University against the government's mistreatment of students. During his six-month imprisonment he reports that he was strung up, beaten on the soles of his feet with thick cables, pummelled with batons, had a nail wrenched from his finger with pliers and was anally raped with a bottle.

"I feared for my life," he told The Sunday Times. "They threatened me with the end, they said nobody knew where I was, nobody could do anything. I didn't know if it was day or night. I thought I would be executed. But somehow I survived. I feel I have been born again in Britain. I want to use my freedom of speech in Britain to speak out against what is happening to my people in Iran."

Despite the compelling prima facie evidence in Einollahi's and Ebrahimi's affidavits, Sir Ian Blair and Lord Goldsmith have pre-empted any judicial consideration of the case against Khatami. They have not only vetoed his arrest, but the police have refused point blank to even question Khatami about the allegations.

What is the point of having human rights laws if people accused of serious crimes like torture are never even questioned by the police, let alone bought before a judge to have the evidence against them assessed?

Yet again the hypocrisy of the Blair government is exposed. It talks tough about tackling human rights abuses but looks the other way when confronted by evidence of an alleged torturer in our midst.

It gets worse. New Labour now stands accused of encouraging the honouring of tyrants. The Scotsman reports that when Jack Straw was Foreign Secretary, he approved the granting of an honorary degree to Khatami by St Andrew's University, apparently in the hope that it might facilitate better relations with Iran.

Leaving aside the doubtful proposition that feting Khatami would do anything to endear Britain to Iran's current hardline leaders, how can Straw even consider endorsing the bestowment of an honour on a man who presided over mass torture and who has defended the barbarities of Sharia law, which include the death penalty for gay people, unchaste women and Muslims who turn away from their faith?

Straw and his friends at St Andrew's claim that Khatami deserves an award because, in Iranian terms, he was a reformer. Some reformer. Sure, compared to a hardliner like President Ahmadinejad, Khatami is relatively moderate. But this is like saying Albert Speer should be honoured because he was less extreme than Adolf Hitler.

Moreover, despite his reputation as a reformer, Iran experts claim Khatami maintains close links with the current hardline regime in Tehran. "It's clear Khatami is being used as a tool of diplomacy which is designed to capitalise on his reputation as a reformist president," said Mark Thomas of the Royal United Services Institute.

The torture of Einollahi and Ebrahimi are just two abuses out of thousands that happened during Khatami's eight-year rule.

In mid-2003, a wave of strikes and demonstrations by workers and students was violently suppressed, with over 4,000 arrests. Most of those arrested were brutally tortured. It was also Khatami's government that initiated large-scale ethnic cleansing of Ahwazis, Iran's persecuted Arab minority in the south-west. Tens of thousands were removed from their land, with little or no compensation, and forcibly relocated to distant northern regions of the country.

Lib Dem leader, Sir Menzies Campbell, is Vice-Chancellor at St Andrew's University. Astonishingly, he had originally agreed to present the honorary degree to Khatami today. It was only at the last minute that he had a change of heart and cancelled, citing a parliamentary engagement in London.

Laila Jazayeri, of the Association of Anglo-Iranian Academics, was quoted by the Scotsmanas saying that she had "no doubt" that Sir Menzies's withdrawal was partly due to protests over Khatami's human rights record as Iranian President.

The National Union of Students is against Khatami being given an honorary doctorate. It wants the award to be withdrawn unless Ahmad Batebi, a student jailed in 1999 following pro-democracy protests, is freed. It also blames Khatami for sanctioning the crushing of student activists.

For highlighting Khatami's abuses, no doubt I will be bombarded with the usual criticisms from the anti-war left: "Tatchell is a neo-con...he' s doing Bush's dirty work" and so on. Not true. I do not support a US attack on Iran. But nor do I believe that the Iranian regime should spared criticism for its barbaric human rights abuses. Khatami and his cronies (together with all other tyrants and torturers, including Bush, Blair and Olmert) should be prosecuted at the International Criminal Court. Human rights law is pointless unless it is enforced. We should act in solidarity with the oppressed people of Iran, not fete and reward their oppressors.
Eternal1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So please, someone on the board, give me a logical clear explanation why the UK, a first world country would do this.

The british media outrage at America's involvement in Iraq, and there continual championing of palestinian cause againt "brutal oppression", are just a couple o examples which would have us believe that the UK is the defender of human rights and civil liberties.

Yet this Khatami issue demonstrates and unbelivable amount of hypocrisy and double standards.

In actual fact, I am tempted to treat every individual that the british media says to be a tyrant as a hero, and every hero they present, I wil be inclined to view as a demon. Maybe then I might get a little closer to reality.

The british public are very naive when it comes to these issues. Someone should begin to educate them.

Again, I ask for a sound, logical and insightful explanation as to why the UK greets someone like Khatami with such open arms.
Liberator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blank wrote:
Spenta wrote:

This is a disgrace !

Actually this rule applied to both male & female virgins. From what I was told, my 13 yr old cousin (male) was raped before his execution.

Blank-jaan,

You don't know how upset I got after reading your post...I don't know what I can say...I'm really sorry...

If you don't mind me asking why was your 13 yr old cousin (!) executed? These are the stories the WORLD needs to hear.

Ba Sepaas

www.anjomane-padeshahi.org
http://aryamehr11.blogspot.com/
Eternal1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blogger has really tried to highlight this barely covered event in his blog.

So you will find a good array of articles on this and other related issues.

http://noggr.blogspot.com/
blank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberator wrote:
blank wrote:
Spenta wrote:

This is a disgrace !

Blank-jaan,

You don't know how upset I got after reading your post...I don't know what I can say...I'm really sorry...

If you don't mind me asking why was your 13 yr old cousin (!) executed? These are the stories the WORLD needs to hear.

Ba Sepaas

Dear Liberator:
Afshin was about 12-13 years old when he was talked into passing some MKO leaflets in the streets. As a child he didn't know what a dangerous arena he was entering. When he was caught, nobody believed he would be executed. I believe they waited until he was 14-15yrs so they can be in compliance with islam. It was the beginning of the genocide by the ragheads. He was a particulary handsome boy, normally what the islamic thugs would do is to promise these children freedom if they go on T.V. and "confess" to their "crimes"; but all others knew the minute he was on T.V. that was basically his death sentence. They would lie to prisoners, so they could get a false confession out of them, and then they would rape and kill them; depending on their age.... this is the kind of civilization that we have inherited from the raghead thugs of islamic republic, we have to thank Jebhe Meli, Tudees, MKO ( the first allies of Khomeini), all the "An"tellectuals, and the followers of Mossadegh- who is still being worshiped by MPG and others. And thank the current lobbysits of iri; NIAC/AIC, CASSMII, all the so called "against the war with Iran" far left and "liberal/new an-tellectual groups" that would like to extend the life of these murderers... and then of course lets not forget the EU & the UN for their support of these thugs.
blank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal1 wrote:
So please, someone on the board, give me a logical clear explanation why the UK, a first world country would do this.

The british media outrage at America's involvement in Iraq, and there continual championing of palestinian cause againt "brutal oppression", are just a couple o examples which would have us believe that the UK is the defender of human rights and civil liberties.

Yet this Khatami issue demonstrates and unbelivable amount of hypocrisy and double standards.

In actual fact, I am tempted to treat every individual that the british media says to be a tyrant as a hero, and every hero they present, I wil be inclined to view as a demon. Maybe then I might get a little closer to reality.

The british public are very naive when it comes to these issues. Someone should begin to educate them.

Again, I ask for a sound, logical and insightful explanation as to why the UK greets someone like Khatami with such open arms.

It is very simple, just ask anyone about British history and their relationship with Iran. It is only based on greed and economy. If they can make good business deals with Iran and get lucrative contracts, then they will kiss khatami's butt.
Liberator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blank wrote:
Liberator wrote:
blank wrote:
Spenta wrote:

This is a disgrace !

Blank-jaan,

Ba Sepaas

Dear Liberator:
Afshin was about 12-13 years old when he was talked into passing some MKO leaflets in the streets. As a child he didn't know what a dangerous arena he was entering. When he was caught, nobody believed he would be executed. I believe they waited until he was 14-15yrs so they can be in compliance with islam. It was the beginning of the genocide by the ragheads. He was a particulary handsome boy, normally what the islamic thugs would do is to promise these children freedom if they go on T.V. and "confess" to their "crimes"; but all others knew the minute he was on T.V. that was basically his death sentence. They would lie to prisoners, so they could get a false confession out of them, and then they would rape and kill them; depending on their age.... this is the kind of civilization that we have inherited from the raghead thugs of islamic republic, we have to thank Jebhe Meli, Tudees, MKO ( the first allies of Khomeini), all the "An"tellectuals, and the followers of Mossadegh- who is still being worshiped by MPG and others. And thank the current lobbysits of iri; NIAC/AIC, CASSMII, all the so called "against the war with Iran" far left and "liberal/new an-tellectual groups" that would like to extend the life of these murderers... and then of course lets not forget the EU & the UN for their support of these thugs.

Blank-jaan,

I'm very sorry...they will pay for their crimes and savagery.

Ba Sepaas

www.anjomane-padeshahi.org
http://aryamehr11.blogspot.com/
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Blank

I am very sorry to read what did happen to your cousin. I didn´t know. No one knows how many hundred thousands have been murdered by the mullahs.
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear blank,

I am horrified at this crime. They will all taste cold justice for this savagery... and all of us are going to be there to see it. The Mullah's are diseased cockroaches. And like all cockroaches, they will be mercilessly crushed! Your cousin as well as all those who suffered under the traitor mullahs will be avenged. My deepest sympathies go out to your family. But take heart, a new wind is blowing...

Cyrizian
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blank wrote:
Liberator wrote:
blank wrote:
Spenta wrote:

This is a disgrace !

Blank-jaan,

Ba Sepaas

Dear Liberator:

Dear Blank,
With my deepest sympathy for you and your family regarding your cousin and crime against humanity by Islamic Fascists, hope all these cases will be documented by family members for the day in court ....
Regards,
Cyrus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: